Thursday, April 03, 2014

Mothering Sunday...

It was British Mothers' Day on Sunday. Historically, this is a very bad day for me. It involves Martin working all day long, me taking the children to church by myself, and making sure my mother-in-law has a good mothers day since her son isn't available.

This year, we bucked the trend!

The kids each brought me a gift and a card first thing in the morning. We had a great time at church. I took us all out for lunch, and they were well behaved throughout. Then they let me take a quick nap when we got home. We headed over to the in-laws' house in the late afternoon and had a wonderful visit and a light meal. Then it was home and into bed for the kids, and I curled up with a good book for the rest of the evening.

As Dylan and Edith grow up a little bit, having children becomes more and more what I expected from motherhood. And I love it. Weirdly, I am especially looking forward to having teenagers. What fun...

Edith's birthday was also good. She was at school all day, but she opened a few gifts before she went. Then we had a family dinner when she got home. She requested paella (her favourite, apparently) and a strawberry cake. I obliged on the paella, and compromised on the cake with a warm vanilla flavoured butterfly cake, decorated with buttercream frosting, fresh strawberries, and fresh blueberries.

As per usual, Edith was very spoilt by all of her aunties, uncles, and grandparents. She got some lovely clothes, which she loves. She got some fun toys, which she is already playing with. And we got her a new bike, which she is learning to ride with confidence.

My Edith is such a joy to me. I love her to absolute pieces. She is a little ray of sunshine to me. Celebrating her birthday is a real privilege, just as having her for a daughter is.

I'm all aglow with the joy and happiness of motherhood. Kind of sickening, really. And just because I wrote it, tonight is probably going to be a crappy night with the kids. But I do love them both, more than I could ever express. They are a blessing to me, and they were well worth the wait!

No comments: