Thursday, May 22, 2014

Random thoughts I've been having recently...

1. It's completely absurd, just how much I love letter openers. Seriously, hardly anybody sends letters any more so the only opening I have to do is usually bills. And fingers work just fine for that job. But there's something so satisfying about sliding that letter opener in between the gap of an envelope and sliding it along that top crease. And then you have that nice, neat slit in your envelope instead of an uneven tear all along the top. Yes, I know the envelope is going in the bin. It can't even be recycled because of the glue. But doing a job neatly with the tool intended is so, well, NICE!

2. That bit in a marriage ceremony when you are exchanging vows and saw "With my body I honour you." I have been thinking about that one a lot lately. How on earth do you "honour" somebody with your body? Honour, when used as a verb, is defined as:
to hold in respect or esteem
to show courteous behaviour towards
to worship
to confer a distinction upon
to accept and then pay when due (a cheque, draft, etc)
to keep (one's promise); fulfil (a previous agreement)
to bow or curtsy to (one's dancing partner)

I suppose we could go line by line on this one...

I will show respect to you with my body by not offering it to anyone else.
I will use my body to be courteous to you, by using it to work for you in appropriate and relevant ways.
I will worship you with my body (hey, the procreative act is sacred, right?).
I will confer distinction upon you by using my body to show affection to you, and only you.
I will fulfill my physical marital obligations to you with my body.
I will keep the promise of fidelity that I have made to you.
Do I really need to bow or curtsy to you? Maybe this one's a bit too literal.

So much is packed into this one little phrase. I'm pretty sure that the rest of the vows have multiple meanings as well. How many people really take the time to think about and analyze their wedding vows? How's that for some food for thought?

3.

Nope, I've got nothing else. But I think it's a step forward!

We've had a busy week. The days have flown by, and I can't believe it's already Thursday. It's a big day for my family back in Utah, and I am thinking of you all. Jace, I'm excited for the mail to come. Krystle and Blaine, I'm crossing my fingers for you. And our family here in England? Well, it's just business as usual.

The kids break for half-term this Friday, so we'll have all next week with them. I'm not working, so that'll be nice. We can all sleep late in the mornings (except for Dylan, who will no doubt continue to wake up at about 6am). We can have a few lazy days together and if I can get a bike by then, maybe go on a few family bike rides. We're too skint to do anything too extravagant, but we will all really enjoy spending time together as a family.

I should probably get back to work. I just wanted to get those thoughts down before I forgot them again!

No comments: