Tuesday, September 06, 2005

The job hunt begins!

I have started looking for a new job, and Martin has started his. I went in to the job centre yesterday, and found the people to be genuinely helpful for the first time since I got to the UK. Their computer system is really advanced and user-friendly, and the people were wonderful. I have several different jobs that I will be submitting resumes for this afternoon, and I hope to have a job by the end of this week or the first of next. Fingers crossed!!!

Martin is finding his job to be a little bit frustrating. He is using a different computer system over here, the car classes & rates are all a little bit different, so are the procedures, etc. In short, he already knows how things should be done, but he doesn't know how to do them any more. I know how he feels--it's hard to go from a job where you know everything to a job where you know nothing. It's also hard to step down from a leadership role and become one of the plebians again. But he'll adjust, and I know he'll rise up through the ranks again soon.

We've also bought a car, and it sure is nice to be mobile again. We had a rental all last week, but it's different when it's your own. The car is a little green Seat Cordoba (pronounced SAY-ought), and it goes really fast (not so sure that was a good idea, in hindsight. Martin has a lead foot!)! It's actually a boy racer car--the kind that young single guys tend to buy and fix up with fancy halogen lights, body kit, booming sound system, etc. But it's a little older now, and was undoubtedly discarded in favor of something new. It suits our purposes perfectly, and now we are deciding what we'll do this weekend--the world is our oyster as long as we don't spend more than about £100. So much to see, and so much time to see it--Ahhh, the joys of living abroad! I hope my next post will be about the fantastic sights we saw over the weekend.

No comments: