Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Cultural differences--especially pop culture...

I've been thinking about pop culture lately, as I get more and more sucked in to English culture and more alienated from American stuff. We went and watched "Brokeback Mountain" over the weekend, and I am watching the news this morning and found out that it won a Golden Globe award last night. It was just barely released over here--hasn't even had a chance to be seen by very many people. It takes a while for American cinema to hop the pond, and I know nothing about movies that have been released in the States.

That got me thinking about music (not too much of a jump between the two--right?), and how Britain really has it's own vibrant music scene that doesn't rely too heavily on the U.S. There are a whole bunch of bands that are HUGE right now over here, and I wonder if anyone in the States has even heard of them. I'd love responses to this post because I really want to know. Have you heard of the following bands or artists?

Sugababes
Arctic Monkeys
Nislopi
Shane Wall
KT Tunstal
Robbie Williams
Girls Aloud
Hard-fi
Pussycat Dolls
Razorlight


That's all I can think of right now--it's early for me and I don't really function well until I've been awake at least two hours.

I am kind of sad that I am losing touch with my American roots. I think I will come home to Utah and be strange there. I know I was last time, and I only lived here for 4 months before. I adjusted back to American life quickly last time though, and I think it might take longer the next time we move back. I guess you just get used to doing things a certain way. Habits can be hard to break.

In Martin news--he had his interview for the job in Nottingham yesterday. He should hear back on that by the end of next week. We could have another move in our near future--scary! But hopefuly this time we can get into a house that has central heating!

Anyway, must run. It takes me 25 minutes to get to work, so I need to get on the road. More later!

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

I've heard of the Pussycat Dolls, they've made several appearances and have a hit single right now, though I couldn't tell you the name of it.

House of Wilcox Rock!!! said...

Yea, I've heard of Pussycat Dolls. I thought they were strippers or something. They were on the Ellen show.
Robbie Williams is that guy that had that creepy video where he tore his skin off right? it came out a few years ago?

-Becca