Sunday, July 17, 2011

An unexpected windfall...

We helped clean the church last Saturday.  Kind of a big ask when Martin works a 14 hour day on Saturday and I am on my own with the kids all day long, but we sucked it up and did it.  And what do you know--we got blessings!

Of course, you expect good things to happen to you when you do good.  Even if you don't believe in God and blessings, most people believe in karma.  Or, at the very least, enjoy that buzz you get when you know you did something good.  But we were rewarded immediately.

I came home with a giant bag of old curtains and sheets that someone was getting rid of.

Now I know that doesn't sound very exciting to most people, but I have been searching the charity shops for just those very items.  I have been wanting them to make rag rugs, which we are in desperate need of since we did the tiling.  The stone floors are really lovely, but VERY hard.  Unfortunately, an old pair of curtains runs about £6 and sheets are about £4.  Cost prohibitive when you need about 6 sheets or two pair of curtains to make a decent sized rug.  So when I got this big bag of old fabric, I was beyond thrilled.  In fact, I've already nearly finished a rug.  It's beautiful, and it will be a reminder every time I look at it that good things happen when you do what you ought to do.

In other news, our car insurance company has decided to write off our car.

About three weeks ago, I nearly tore the bumper off.  I cried.  We debated whether or not to put a claim in to our insurance company, since it was all my fault and there was nobody else involved--just me and the strip of metal on the side of a gate post.  But we have full coverage on our car and the deductible is only £100.  Sadly, the car will cost more to fix than it is worth.  Happily, the market value of the car is £1575 (remember, we paid £800 for it).  We found someone in town who will fix the damage for about £500, and the insurance company will sell us back the car for the amount that they could get for scrappage, and we can take the rest of the cash at market value and do what we like with the money.  We have decided to do that, and then take the money to repair the car.  We both really like it!  Then we will put the money into our savings account so it's there just in case we have any expensive car repairs in the future.

I probably should have blogged about the car accident before now, but I was so embarrassed that I did it.  It's always been Martin who destroyed our cars in the past.  He was pretty mad at me when I did it, but it was on a Sunday and he'd just got done teaching a Primary lesson about forgiveness.  Lucky for me, huh?

Anyway, I can't wait to get the car fixed.  And I'm going to see about getting an eye test and maybe some new glasses.  I think my depth perception is a little bit off.  Either that or I REALLY shouldn't drive if I'm even a little bit tired.  But that would be bad news, because I'd never be able to go anywhere!

1 comment:

Emma said...

So glad about your good news, but about the car bump. You need to remember that Lewis put a dint in our car backing out of the same drive way with Martin backing him out!! And Lewis used to park cars for a living, so don't be too tough on yourself!
Missed you guys at Church today, hope you're out having fun x