Wednesday, September 07, 2011

So grown up now...

Today was Dylan's first day of all-day school.  We took him over for 8:50am and picked him up at 3:15pm.  He had such a good time--he woke up at his usual 6am and got himself dressed in his uniform.  Martin did his packed lunch at 6:30.  When I got up at 7:15, he was ready to go.

After we dropped him off, Martin and I took Edith shopping.

We had a delightful day.  It was so quiet in the house, and I remembered how much easier it is to only have one child at home.  When Martin got home, the house was immaculate, the laundry was caught up, my hair and make-up were done, and Edith had been reading a book instead of watching telly.

Don't get me wrong--we missed Dylan.  From here on out, Dylan will only spend about 5 waking hours a day at home with me and Martin.  That's terrifying to me, that I am trusting the school system to teach him and take care of him that much.  I can actually see why so many parents choose to home-school their kids.  I would never do it, but I can understand it.  I'm just going to have to make every moment count.

Edith and I are going to have a good time together.  She will finally get the one-on-one attention she's never had.  At least until April, when she'll get her 3 year funding and start going to nursery for 15 hours a week.  Then I'll probably have to get a job. 

Pants!

How strange, that if we were in the U.S. right now, Dylan wouldn't be in school at all.  He loves it so much, and was completely ready to go.  Edith is already excited to go to school, as well.  I wonder how much of that is because of their nature and how much is because of the school system over here.

And speaking of precocious children, Edith is now potty trained.  She is still sleeping in a pull-up, but she is actually dry most mornings already.  It took approximately 3 days to potty train her, but I didn't want to post about it in case I jinxed the whole thing.  I will probably only need to buy one more pack of pull-ups, and then we will be done with diapers.

I am so proud of how grown up my children are.  They just get more wonderful with each passing day.

Having just said that, I'm pretty sure tomorrow will be a bad day and I'll wish I could take it all back.