Monday, July 23, 2012

...and Doing it Well!

Today was day 4 of the summer holidays, and it is good.

Last summer was, to be perfectly frank, horrible. I was a big ball of stress and anger, but kept trying to make sure the kids had fun. We did lots of stuff, and I think they enjoyed it. I did not.

This summer is a whole different story. The anger has virtually disappeared, and it's making such a big difference.

We've made a list of all the things we might like to do this summer, and have divided it into a "rainy day" section and a "sunny day" section. So far, when we get up in the morning we take a look at the weather and the kids and I discuss options for a daily activity. We went to the Fun Forest on Friday, the beach on Saturday, and today we went to Water's Edge for a picnic, a walk, and a play in the park.

Will told me to stop sacrificing what I want and need for the sake of my children, because they will learn that their needs are unimportant once they've had children of their own. I've been listening to his advice. So when we went to the Fun Forest and the park, I took a book. The kids were told that we could stay and they could play, but I wanted to read my book. We all got to do what we wanted, and it was wonderful.

Got a new program at the gym, which should be fun. I met with a different personal trainer, a guy named Michael. I like him a lot, because he's totally mean. That's a great quality in a personal trainer. He's got me doing circuits for the next month, and I did my first workout this morning. OUCH!

Martin only had Sunday night off this week, and he's taking two lunchtimes off instead of a second full day. That's kind of pants for me, but it does mean an extra day for us to hang out as a family. It's kind of exciting waking up every morning to see the weather and what our options are for the day. He has tomorrow off, so we'll see what happens. I'm hoping for sun, but we've got a lot of stuff to do on the rainy day list :)


No comments: