Friday, August 03, 2012

The dating game...

Once upon a time, I had notoriously bad taste in men. My parents never, and I do mean NEVER, approved of the boys I liked. Looking back, I can kind of see their point of view. But thanks to Facebook, I am currently in touch with most of my ex-boyfriends. And let me tell you, most of them have turned out pretty awesome--no matter how little potential they seemed to have at the time.

There have only been three guys I dated that my parents actually approved of. One of them was when I was just barely sixteen, and it turns out that he pretty much only asked me out because he was "desperate for a snog" (his words, not mine). Another one is (I believe) currently a recovering drug addict who is living with his parents and suffering from severe mental health issues. The other one takes the cake--he is gay.

I really ought to have more faith in my own judgement.

My parents didn't want me to marry Martin. They tried to talk me out of marrying him right up until two weeks before the wedding. Funny, because he is the best man I ever brought home for them to meet. He is so wonderful.

So the moral of the story is, if your parents try to tell you who you should be dating you should definitely ignore them. Unless your name it Edith Alyssa Gilbert.

No comments: