Saturday, September 16, 2006

The week behind us...

Let's see, what can I tell you all?

It's been an incredibly busy but very boring week, all at the same time. Martin and I have both been running around like chickens with our heads cut off, but ahven't done a single thing that's new or exciting, or even that much fun!

We've been having an interesting time trying to sort out our finances. We got into a bit of a jam, and have to try and dig ourselves out. When we moved over, I decided to let Martin handle the cash. That may have been a mistake, in hindsight. He has as much money sense as a 4 year old child, and about that much self control when it comes to spending. My fault, too, of course, for not stepping in and taking it over, but it was so nice to not stress about it constantly. Now Martin is stressing about it instead. It'skind of fun to see. Anyway, if we can make it to the end of this month without spending more than around 50 quid we should be ok. I hate living in poverty!

My massage course was fun thins week, I guess. We started practising the different techniques--Effleurage, pettrosage, tapotment, friction, and vibration. I had a homework assignment, to practice the techniques, so everyone has been getting back rubs this week. Martin hates it, but he grins and bears it and moans in pleasure when I am giving him a massage. I have a feeling this course could make me very popular!

Choir was good. I spent most of our time working on tone quality, which was interesting. I told Martin what I wanted to do, which was mainly to make sure our vowel sounds were all uniform, and he had a bit of a giggle. He said, "You want to teach a room full of English people how to speak English?" I hadn't really thought about that, but I realised the irony of it right away. So we turned it into a joke at practice, and it went over ok. After only two practices with me, I can really hear a difference in the choir. They sounded really great by the end of the practice!

We went to the Mundays' house last night for dinner--a yummy curry. I was all about it, because we don't have much food in the house right now. I am trying to make things up from the random cans and rice & pasta we already have, and it makes for strange meals! We stayed there for 3 1/2 hours just talking about everything from Emma's pregnancy and breast feeding to religion and the phrase "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions." I love going to their house.

Today Martin is at work, then has a football game in Grimsby. After he is done there, we are going to the Mundays' again to help Lewis change the oil in his car. Then, we are going to come home and work on the house. And of course, tomorrow is church and all the activities that brings with it.

The past two weeks have been so busy and frantic! When I weighed myself yesterday, I got a pleasant surprise. All the weight I gained when I stopped going to the gym, I've lost again. I phoned Martin up and told him I'd lost 5 1/2 lbs. in the last ten days, and he reminded me that our scales are set in kilos. So actually lost just over 11 lbs. in the last ten days. I think I should be a student for the rest of my life. I use every scrap of energy I consume, and by the time I get home I am too tired to eat. Just can't be bothered, you know?

So that's life for the Gilberts in Barton. What's going on with all of you? I need to do some house work before I have an intelligent life form develop in my bathroom sink!

No comments: