Saturday, January 26, 2008

A busy week...

I had a good birthday, though 29 is not my favorite age. Time keeps creeping up on me, and I don't like getting older. Martin and I went on a date, just dinner and a movie, but it was nice to get out of the house together without Dylan. Christine (mother in law) came to babysit, and Dylan cried the whole time. I'd like to take this opportunity to assure people that it's not because he's spoiled. He just doesn't really know Christine. How can this be, you ask, when we spend three to four hours at her house every single Sunday? Well, I'll tell you.

My mother in law does not play with her grandson. She was all excited for him to be born, and then once he showed up she ceased caring. She never comes over here--the only time she sees Dylan is when we bring him over to her house. And even then, she doesn't really hold him or play with him. Sometimes she does try to play with him, but he likes songs and jumping around, and she pretty much just shakes his toys at him. He doesn't know who she is.

This has been a major source of frustration to me, because I know if we only lived 10 miles from my mom, she'd see him all the time and love him to pieces. And not only does Christine not really bother with her grandson, she gives ME unsolicited advice about how I should be raising him. I know my baby--I spend every waking moment with him. I very rarely go anywhere without him, and I don't need her telling me when and how much I should feed him or how I don't put him down for naps often enough.

Since she's being like this, I've decided that I no longer want to go over there every week. We are going every other week, and we aren't staying very long. If his grandparents want to see him, they can come over here once in a while!

Anyway, got that off my chest now!

Dylan and I went swimming on Wednesday AND Friday--with Martin on Wednesday and with Joanne and Marley yesterday. On Thursday we went to the church for an Enrichment day mini class in family history. Then we went grocery shopping and to choir. And today we went to Hull to the "Big Fun" for a birthday party. It's a giant indoor playground for kids. Dylan is a little young for some place like that, but he enjoyed all the people and noise.

There have been changes at the Place again. They are no longer going to open on Friday and Saturday nights. It'll be nice to have him home on weekends, but it'll really cut his hours a lot. He's still planning on leaving, but hasn't decided which job he wants to take yet. He's applied for a couple and has had a few offers. Had a bit of a scare on Tuesday. The landlord at the Place served them with a notice of eviction as the owners hadn't paid the rent. Its due quarterly and they were a month late paying it. Martin took Wednesday off and wasn't sure if he'd have a job to go to on Thursday, but all is well.

So that's the update. got to dash now.

2 comments:

Amberlynn said...

I just LOVE unsolicited advice on how you should raise your own kids. My favorite was all the breastfeeding advice from Grandmothers who always ask questions like "do you have enough milk?" Whaaa?

I'm so sorry it's coming from your MIL. Maybe she's just not a baby person. Maybe she'll do better when they're teenagers. I can imagine having a grandparent who's good with teenagers would be mighty handy. Although, I doubt she'll ever stop with the advice giving...

Unknown said...

yea i know what you mean i just love my mother-in-law or the lack there of. Its alway funny i think when they say its our fault our kids dont like her, but she seems to always forget the fact that if she come around more often that my kids would like her more. Trust me by your 2nd or 3rd kid you stop trying and you are allot happier. Another thing they dont think times change and old techquine usually dont work anymore and arnt recommended but they swear on them and they just know they work and youre standing thinking if you come a inch closer to my kid im going to hit ya. ( then she thinks youre the bad one).

ok i feel better now. Trust me dont even start trying let her figure it out for herself then shell realize what shes missing