Friday, March 14, 2008

The beauty of a routine...

Dylan is currently having a nap. I am so proud of that, since he would not sleep at the house up until about a month ago. At least not during the day. Now we have a daytime routine of sorts established, and he's like a different baby. It just took us a long time to get into it.

We start our day at around 7:30, when Dylan wakes up. I feed him while Martin gets a shower, then Martin keeps an eye on him and he plays while I get my shower. When Martin leaves for work, Dylan and I watch "America's Next Top Model." I make myself breakfast and tidy up the kitchen and front room during the commercials. When that's over, we go for our morning walk. Dylan falls asleep while we are out walking, then we come home and I clean the house while he is sleeping. He has banana when he wakes up, then a feed and a cuddle. We play for a while, and he sits in the kitchen with me while I get dinner prepped. Then it's time for his afternoon nap. I lie down with him and feed him until he falls asleep, and then I either finish the housework or have some free time, depending on how long his morning nap was. When he wakes up he has his afternoon banana, then Martin gets home and we just hang out until dinner and bed time.

My life is so boring.

For all that boredom though, it is really satisfying. And Dylan is flexible with the routines now, so we go swimming some days instead of the regular routine, and he skips his bath on choir nights, and it is OK. We can go out and do fun things, but he knows that he is supposed to sleep during the day now, and he gets horribly grumpy if he doesn't nap. Getting enough sleep has turned him into the happiest baby around.

Now a quick update. Our car broke down last weekend ( I think I wrote about it), and it would have cost more to fix it than the car is worth. We have found a "new" car--a '97 Renault Clio. It has a smaller engine, so we will be paying less tax on it and it will probably get better mileage. Martin's grandparents have kindly let us borrow the money from them, and we will repay it when we sell the house and move home. We are picking the car up on Sunday, so we have been car-less all week. Hence me being grateful for Dylan's routine, because it's made the week bearable.

Anyway, I'm going to have a sit and a relax while Dylan is sleeping. Hooray for sleeping babies!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

YES!!!!!! i love naps. there are the best. Nows you should nap when he does then you really love them

Adams Family Album said...

Dylan is so cute! I love seeing new pix of him!

Anonymous said...

how absolutely fabulous