Saturday, March 22, 2008

Happy Easter...

Well, nearly anyway. It's just after 9 pm here, so it's nearly Easter Sunday for me.

My thoughts always turn to home at Easter. I know I should be thinking about Jesus Christ and what he did for me and you and everyone, but instead I think of my family. Every Easter the Lofleys get together for a big picnic/barbecue in the east desert. A few people camp out, and the rest of us drive out the next morning. The kids have a big easter egg hunt, we hike to see the Indian writings and hunt for ponds (if it's been a wet spring so far). We eat burgers and hot dogs and Grandma's potato salad (and never forgetting mom's pasta salad). We all get sun burnt and go home smelling of smoke and covered in a fine layer of grit from the sand and the ride out in the back of an open pick-up truck. Then we eat potato salad for the next two days.

Doesn't sound terribly exciting, I know, but it was a family tradition that I loved. The longer we live in England the more I miss home and family. Martin's family are lovely. But they're not my family, and so I will never love them as much. I ache to spend time with my mom and dad and sisters and brother. I know how much I am missing with my nieces and nephews--baptisms, blessings, and all of the exciting little bits of them growing up. They don't even know aunt Jamie and uncle Martin. They've never even met cousin Dylan.

England has been a lonely place for me since Dylan was born. I love staying home with him, but I feel the absence of my family so deeply. I know I could drop by unannounced and hang out with my mom or my sisters and they wouldn't mind. I have to give the in-laws at least a day's notice so that I won't show up and the father-in-law is hammered and in a state not fit to have a baby around. My sister in law is lovely, but if you saw the wrong thing to her, she may get mad at you and not speak to you for several months. I don't work any more, and some days the only people I speak to are Martin and Dylan--so only one of them talks back to me.

I miss home. I still love England and find it beautiful, but I would give anything to spend just a single day back home with all of my family near.

5 comments:

Celeste said...

Jamie, I find comfort in knowing that someone else misses the Lofley family Easter events too! I've tried to recreate your moms pasta salad, but it's never the same! We haven't been at a Lofley activity since we saw you at the family reunion right before you moved to England, I think. We're going to be there for Thanksgiving this year and I'm SOOOOO excited!

Happy Easter!

Greg, Ang & 4 kidlets said...

We missed it because we are spending Easter with Murrell and Marcia since they are leaving for their mission in less than two weeks. They speak in church today, but of course I am missing it because Anya has been throwing up:)

We always miss seeing you guys at family events- I show the girls your pictures online and they LOVE to watch Dylan's video's. At least we can keep up on each other's lives this way right:) Remember- it's not forever- hopefully! Hope your Easter was still fun!

Unknown said...

i know excaltly what you mean we moved to nebraska and it was like litle house on the pririe with paved roads. I was terrible and everyone drank and the town smelled of sugar beets and it nothing i have missed all. I think its funny how you cant wait to leave but then you cant wait to come back though either it like nephi grows on you. Cheer up and at least you will have a great big welcome party for you when you get back

Anonymous said...

I hope none of your in-laws read your blog!

kriddlec said...

Jamie,

I didn't head to Easter either this year because I could not ditch out on teaching Sunday School for a 4th week in a row. To make up for it, I hid Easter eggs around the church as part of my lesson and told them about the Lofley tradition. I taught "Seek Ye For the Kingdom of Heaven" and we talked about what seeking the kingdom has in common with hunting for easter eggs. I am such a geek. AND, I LOVE YOU!
:) Krystle