Saturday, November 19, 2005

Finally, a Saturday at home!

I have a few minutes today because Martin isn't working and we have nothing planned. Well, not entirely true. We don't have a long drive planned. We are spending the whole day just bumming around Grimsby.

This morning we are going to buy some paint for our bedroom and some plastic stuff to put in our windows (in a desparate attempt to keep our house warmer). I'm going to get a hanging basket for our courtyard, and maybe we'll get a TV stand. Pretty soon our house is going to look like a home!

I tried to take a picture of the house earlier this morning, but our digital camera has a serious aversion to sub-zero temperatures, and it is FREEZING outside--literally. We had our first hard frost two nights ago, and it was nasty. However, I still maintain that cold and wet doesn't feel as bad as cold and dry!

One thing that I find really cool about winters over here is the fog. Because of the ocean currents, the sea is much warmer on a cold night than the land and air are. This usually means that a heavy mist develops over the sea, and since we are coastal here, that heavy fog moves in and settles over everything. I thought I understood fog from driving over the Utah mountains in snow storms, but this fog is so thick you can almost taste it. England should be famous for it's "pea-soupers." You literally can't see more than 2 feet in front of you sometimes!

Anyway, I need to get ready to go out shopping this morning. But here's an idea for anyone who wants to send us a Christmas care package. I want yarn, the soft, silky, thick kind, so I can make myself some hats and scarfs and mittens! I also want Stephen's gourmet sipping hot chocolate, preferably the vanilla kind. It's kind of bulky, I know. But you could take it out of the tub and put it in a zip-lock bag. PLEASE?!?

No comments: