Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving!

Well, sort of anyway! I haven't worked on Thanksgiving day since the last time I lived in England, 4 years ago. This day is supposed to be all about family, so I am actually a little bit sad. But we are celebrating on Saturday with Martin's family. Plus, we've invited the missionaries over. One of the Elders is from Utah (Harriman, for any of you who know where that is), and this is his first Thanksgiving away from home. I thought it might be nice for him to be able to celebrate with us.

This will be the first time I have cooked my own Thanksgiving dinner, and I'm a little bit nervous about it. Martin has taken some time off work, so he did all the grocery shopping. I'm taking tomorrow off work and we are going to do all the prep work (plus sleep in, if you want a little honesty) so we only have to cook on the day. We had quite a job trying to find a pumpkin at this time of year. We checked every grocery store in town earlier this week. Martin finally found one at the market, so I am making a home-made pumpkin pie for the first time ever tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Anyway, we are both doing well. Martin is enjoying his time off, though yesterday it was too foggy for him to go golfing. He's going today instead, and then he's going to Hull to play in a five-a-side soccer tournament with work. I've opted out of sitting and watching him in the freezing cold, and will be going to ward choir practice instead.

I've been sick for a few days as well, and I thought it was just a cold. It turns out that it was my asthma as well. It's strange, because I can never tell when I'm having an asthma attack. Back home it was immediately obvious because I couldn't breathe at all. Here at sea level, there's so much more oxygen, I can still breathe--just not as well. It only dawned on me this morning that maybe I should use my inhaler because I didn't feel that short of breath. I'll learn.

Martin and I went in yesterday to have our tests done for the fertility clinic, and I was very pleasantly surprised with the efficiency in the pathology lab at the hospital. It was actually faster than having bloodwork done in a U.S. hospital. Sure, I had to take a number and wait, but they were fast and efficient. And they said that my doctor in Scunthorpe should have the test results within 3-4 working days. We are almost on our way to having a baby!

No comments: