Thursday, December 29, 2005

My trip to the supermarket...

I know this is my second post of the day, but I just had the most amusing trip to Asda ever, and I wanted to share.
So I went to buy grenadine because we're going to a dinner party tonight and Martin and I are doing alcohol free cocktails. Grenadine, for those of you who don't know, is a cherry flavoured syrup. It has NO alcohol in it. In fact, you use it to make Shirley Temples! It took some finding as it was hidden with all the brandys and stuff, but I finally managed to get some. I took it up to the checkout and got carded when I tried to pay for it. Made even funnier by the fact that the legal drinking age in England is 18!
So that was my experience at the checkout, but it gets better! As I was walking out the door, I got stuck behind a Chinese couple. There was an older English guy stuck behind them as well, and we were listening to the couple speaking Chinese to each other. This English guy turns to me and says, "You hardly ever meet any English people any more." As I turned to him and said, "And I'm not one of them," he turned to me again and said, "It's all bloody foreigners!" He started to blush like mad when he heard my American accent, and I started to giggle. We turned away from each other, he was embarrassed and I was laughing, and walked to our cars. I sat giggling in traffic for the next ten minutes!
Don't you think you should take in the situation fully before you open your mouth and say something racist and inflammatory???

No comments: