Thursday, June 07, 2007

The Best Day Ever...

Well, it might not have been the best day ever, but it was certainly on my top ten list.

Yesterday was such a fantastic day! Krystle and I slept a tiny bit later than usual, and I took the day off work so we could go to Whitby (check out some of my old pics to see some of the sights, plus I plan on posting a few new ones later). It was cold and overcast, but still beautiful. The North East coast of England is truly stunning, and a good portion of our drive was right along the coast.

I'll just add at this point that I am so proud of myself for driving us up there. I always navigate and Martin always drives, but I did just fine (and Krystle made a pretty decent navigator).

We arrived in good time at Whitby, and parked at the abbey, which is on top of a cliff overlooking the town. The main part of Whitby is perched rather precariously on the sides of a deep dale containing the port and the mouth of the river. We walked down the 199 steps to the town below, enjoying the sights along the way.

Krystle tried her first ever proper fish and chips. She even had the mushy peas, and was pretty impressed with all of them. We wandered, window shopped, and watched the tide coming in. One of the highlights was watching this group of school children playing on the beach. It was COLD outside, and the North Sea is freezing anyway, but they were laughing and squealing and splashing in the water all the same. So much fun to watch them! A few brave souls even stripped down to swimming suits.

Anyway, we stopped at a little cafe called "Teas and Tarts" and Krystle tried another first--a fruit and fresh cream scone. I think she may be addicted, but hey, at least it's not heroin! Cream scones ARE delicious, so family back in Utah need to be prepared for her to attempt to make them for you. And Mom, Dad, and Jace, we will have some when you come over!

We walked back UP the 199 steps (not quite as enjoyable for me as my lungs are really starting to feel the squeeze of baby now) and drove home. We told Martin we'd be home at around 6pm, and we made it back at 6:20--rush hour traffic in Hull! Then we went over to the Munday's for what I thought was going to be a chilled out dinner and games.

To my surprise, there were a lot of cars at the Mundays' house. Emma threw me a surprise baby shower! And let me tell you, it was a complete shock! One of the things that has made me really sad during this pregnancy is knowing that I wouldn't get a baby shower like all the other Lofley girls do--all the sisters, aunts, female cousins, etc. In fact, the English don't really DO baby showers. It was so wonderful to have one--seriously. I cried like a baby and kept getting emotional during the whole thing. It was a really fun shower, I got some really nice things, and the food was fantastic! Best of all was knowing that people here care about me. I felt really loved and very blessed.

After that it was home and pretty much straight to bed. I am so tired today, and it's another busy day, but yesterday was so wonderful that it's totally worth the exhaustion. I would happily fall asleep inthe toilets at work every day for a few more days like yesterday!

2 comments:

Adams Family Album said...

J- you have got to tell me more about this "sanding your legs" thing. I'm intrigued!! Plus, at 33 weeks, it's nearly impossible to negotiate a razor. I love reading your blogs though, keep it up and hang in there!

Amy

Emma said...

Not a bad effort for a British chick eh?