Thursday, June 28, 2007

Oh, the shame...

Yesterday I said something truly shocking and horrifying.

Martin and I were driving home from Grimsby and we were talking about something random and insignificant--I think it was about whether he would need to have his passport with him to get onto an American air base or if his U.S. driver's license would do. Anyway, I referred to the Americans as "They" instead of "Us" or "We." And I was immediately sick!

I'm not losing my Yankee-ness, am I?

Anyway, in a desperate attempt to rekindle some good, old fashioned, healthy patriotism, Martin and I are going to be gong to a 4th of July celebration on Sunday. He has a baseball game up at an American Air Force base near Harrogate (close to York). Normally he only goes to one game a month, but I wanted to go and so relented. He played last weekend as well, but only missed a little bit of church for it. This time we will be missing it all. A small price to pay for an injection of American spirit! I can hardly wait!

Upcoming events--

Martin's baseball game & our 4th of July celebration is on the 1st of July. We also have a BBQ at his parents' house that evening.

Martin's 27th birthday is on the actual 4th of July.

My 34 week midwife apointment is coming up on the 9th of July.
Our "parenting day" at the Scunthorpe hospital is on the 14th. That's our tour of the delivery suites, meeting the hospital staff, familiarizing ourselves with the layout, etc. Martin's throwing a royal fit about having to come with me--what a bum!

And, of course, it's only 52 days until my due date now. Really, I could give birth any time after 31 days and it would be normal / safe.

52 days--wow, that's close! I'm still not prepared at all--no nursery, front room is still in shambles, house is a BIG mess! I am planning on doing baby laundry this weekend, but still--argh! And we just found out that we won't be getting a crib from the Mundays after all. It did go for a noble cause and it DOES give Christine something to buy for us, but still--ARGH!!!

And that whole nesting thing--I really think it's just a myth. I don't want to clean--I just want to sleep!

And, on a completely unrelated topic--yes, I know that I've posted about this before, but what on EARTH posses a man who is, in all other respects, completely normal, decent and sane to buy and look at pictures of mostly naked women in broad daylight in the middle of the company cafeteria? I am getting so tired of looking at bare breasts. Of course, at this point maybe I am just jealous of the nasty women with nearly perfect bodies?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What can I say the heartless Brits strike again
Emma
(Munday)

Jamie said...

Not the Brits' fault--it's my own fault!!! I should be hanging onto my national identity with a death grip. Instead I'm being sucked into the vortex. You are Brits--you will assimilate me. But I will resist as hard as I can!!!