Sunday, May 11, 2008

Any suggestions???

Lately Dylan has been waking up in the middle of the night and not going back to sleep. He hasn't done that since he was about 8 weeks old, and we don't know what to do. We've even tried taking him for a midnight drive, which worked once but didn't work for us last night. It's so frustrating, and any advice would be welcome.

We had a great weekend anyway. I got my dates mixed up--thought we had ~Dylan's American Embassy appointment tomorrow but it turns out it's next Monday. We went to Mablethorpe yesterday and spent the night at Don and Olga's house (Martin's dad's parents). We met his nanna and grandad at Willingham Woods on the way down to have a picnic, which was lovely. Then we carried on to Mablethorpe and took Dylan to the beach.

He hated every second of it!

I think the sensation of the sand washing out from under him scared him a little bit, and he just sobbed every time we put his feet in the water. But he enjoyed playing in the dry sand, and he got good and dirty.

As mentioned above, he had a sleepless night. But he was so tired tonight that he fell asleep really easily. I hope he sleeps through tonight, because Martin and I are both completely exhausted.

Speaking of Martin, he got the door switched around tonight. We are now coming into the house through the entrance hallway and the old door has been screwed shut. We need to get some insulation, then we can board it up, plaster it, and build our bookshelf. But we have shifted the furniture down and the front room looks great.

We also got a few things done in the garden. The grass is looking good, the ivy is gorgeous, and I have radishes sprouting. We got some geraniums and other plants from Charlie and Dave (Beth's parents), and I planted them tonight. We actually have green stuff growing in our garden, and the back patio area looks FAB! the brick is almost all exposed now, and Martin scraped a lot of soil off it while I was finishing dinner tonight. It looks so good!

Busy weekend, and Match of the Day is about to start so I'm going to bed. I'll try to get some pictures posted soon of our weekend away.

Happy Mother's Day to all the American moms who read my blog!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It may be his teeth coming in that is keeping him up. Or, if the pollen count is high he may be having some drainage issues. That was usually the problem with Ashlee, who by the way, will be 18 months next Tuesday--crazy.
Is he in his own crib? If he is it sometimes helps to put something under the mattress where his head usually is to raise it up some. I don't know if this helps, but it's what I know can work for my girl.

Anonymous said...

happy first mother's day to you!

Greg, Ang & 4 kidlets said...

All I can think of is teething also. Getting those darn teeth causes TONS of problems:) All I can say is Motrin works great for my girls- the teething tablets and rings didn't help at all:)

Emma said...

Hey Jamie,
Hope Dylan has settled down a bit now. I tried the pillow under the mattress thing and that worked well. Mine didn't like teething rings either, but it seems Dylan is quite happy to use a remote control anyway!
If you would like Lewis and I to have Dylan over night, it would be no problem at all. Sometimes you need a day to relax and a good nights' sleep to unite the troops (you and Martin) and rethink your tactics... not that having kids is a battle!
You are doing a great job, Dylan is normal, healthy and strong. Don't worry.
Emma
x

V said...

Happy Mother's Day to you Jamie. Your first Mother's Day. How was it? I also think that Dylan's not sleeping has to do with teething my kids went through that alot the first 2 years of their lives. Apparently it hurts alot when those baby teeth are coming through, it leaves very cranky little ones. You can do it. You are a great mom I know it. P.S. I finally got a web cam. Velecia:)

House of Wilcox Rock!!! said...

Welcome to the mystery wake-up call!!! These could be due to a number of things, teeth coming in, an earache, getting a little hungry, a wet diaper, or just wanting a snuggle. Izaiah's mystery wake-up calls were mosly due to the first two I mentioned when they were persistent. IT IS OK TO GIVE HIM THE MOTRIN!!! it wil help you both sleep, and it really is painful, you are doing him a favor!

If you can rule out teeth and an earache, I recommend trying to comfort him back to sleep without picking him up if you can help it. Baby-boy does need to learn to self-soothe. Use your instincts, but remember it won't kill him to cry it out for a few before you pick him up.

Unknown said...

It seems I'm not the only one that had teething as a first thought. I take the easy out and give my kids tylenol and numb their gums and let them cry it out. If it's not teething, I love a book I finished a few months ago that has done wonders with my kids sleep habits. I don't know if you can get ahold of it there, but it's called, "Healthy sleep habits, happy child." It's got a lot of great advice. Good luck!!