Friday, May 16, 2008

Presenting a united front...

Thanks everyone for your advice about how to deal with the midnight screaming fits. We had a really rough night on Wednesday. Dylan woke up at 2 am and didn't go back to sleep until 6:15. Martin and I got all stressed out and angry with Dylan and with each other. It was so hard!

We ended up going with my mom's advice (thanks mom) and we had a talk about it in advance. See, part of the reason I was so angry was that I felt guilty that Martin was awake because he seemed to want me to just feed Dylan to sleep in our bed and I didn't think I should. So we discussed why we needed to just let him cry, and we were mentally prepared to do it.

So last night when he woke up at 2 am we changed him, gave him some Calpol, got him calmed down, and then put him down and let him cry. He cried for over an hour. But we were all asleep by 4 am, which was much better than the night before. And again, when he woke up at 6, I fed him, we put him down, and let him cry. That time he only cried for about 20 minutes.

He's awake now, so I need to go get him.

And why does everyone seem to think I'm this big hippie freak who won't give my baby pain relief medication? I know it's not that good for him, and I try not to take anything myself, but he's little and doesn't understand the pain, so I will do anything I can to take away that pain. I have no problem giving my baby drugs!

3 comments:

Greg, Ang & 4 kidlets said...

We've had many nights in our house where I am SO mad at Greg because he sleeps right through babies cries- and I deal with it all. Or, we are both awake and exhausted and mad at each other and baby- it is good to hear we aren't the only ones:) Does Dylan have teeth yet? I can't remember if you've said. Emi is just getting her first two so here we go also:) Love you guys! It gets easier! At least the teething part:)

Unknown said...

FYI

This will never change. Four children later jeremy still think i can get up during the night and work a full time job. for some reason men think they we are a cure all for chikldren and when it doesnt work its they get mad becasue were not doing enough to make it better. Im am all for let them scream. Trust me letting them do it up there young makes them more independant when theyre older (just whatever you do NEVER put them in bed with you esp. boys they love their mommies to much and sharing the bed with them is the hardest thing to break. And about the pain releiver thing dont worry about it it not that bad for them and teething sets off the pain nerves and and theylee just want to feel better and mortin is all that works.
I also 2nd 3rd and 4th the raising their head it releives the pressure on the ears some how

Keep you chin up

House of Wilcox Rock!!! said...

I don't think you are a hippie-chick taht won't give your baby pain medication, I just know that I was nervous about giving Izaiah pain medication at first.
I felt guilty about keeping Izaiah in our room when he was still waking up at night because Glynn was working, but he told me it woke him up more when I got up and left the room AND he actually told me it made him feel guilty because he wanted to be part of taking care of the baby.
I'm sure you guys will be fine, I agree with your mom's advice to let him cry it out. Whatever you do just remember that lack of sleep doesn't just make the baby cranky, be patient with each other you'll get through this!