Tuesday, November 06, 2012

We did it!

We made it through the half term holidays without any melt downs.The kids started back to school on Monday. The house was so quiet after we dropped them off. Bliss.

The kids were actually really good. And we had a good time, all things considered. Helped enormously by my in-laws having them over on Friday night...

Dylan and I had a particularly awesome moment on Saturday. It was a hard day for me. I was having a hard time keeping it together,and we had errands to run. So I told Dylan and Edith that if they cleaned their bedroom I would give them 50p each to spend at the sweets stall on the market. I told them explicitly what needed to be done, then I cleaned the kitchen and left them to it.

Once the kitchen was cleaned, I went upstairs to check their work. And let me tell you, that bedroom was immaculate. So I called Dylan down, and he crept into the bedroom. He looked a little bit scared, so when I gave him a big hug and told him he had done an amazing job, his little face just lit up. I told him how proud of him I was, and how pleased I was with the job that he had done. And when I handed him his money, he looked so pleased with himself that he was about to burst!

It was a totally amazing parenting moment, and it shook me out of my 2 day depression. I felt that I must be doing something right, and that moment with Dylan helped me make it to Sunday (and Martin's day off) and then to Monday and the return of my child-free time.

Man, I love those kids. I hope I'm doing right by them!

No comments: