Saturday, August 19, 2006

A New Talent...

I have discovered that I am quite decent at plastering! Martin and I got motivated to finish the front room last weekend, and we bought some supplies. He was chiseling out channels to run our electrial wiring through, and I decided to start on the plaster. Turns out, I'm pretty decent at it. The best part is, I actually enjoy it as well. It's very soothing and rhythmic. When I'm done, I actually feel relaxed and happy. Best of all, we are finally making the room look better instead of making it look worse. I am going to do some more plastering this morning, and will take some pictures when I am finished for the day.

I only have a week left on my contract at Hewden, so I have laready started looking for jobs elsewhere. There are a few options right now, so hopefully I won't be jobless for as long this time. This job has really made me feel better about working. After Volvo I just wanted to sit in my house all day long and never talk to anyone. Now I'm OK.

So yeah, we're doing well here in jolly old England. One thing that hasn't been so great is the weather. August is supposed to be beautiful and summery. Back home it's usually the hottest month of the year. Well, not here. It has rained every single day this month, and the top temperature has been about 65 degrees F. It gets downright COLD at night. We have had our sweaters and jackets on all month. I am really hoping that it warms up soon, or it will feel like we have an 8 month winter this year.

I really miss the desert! I know that sounds a little bit silly, but it's true all the same. I long for zero humidity with a passion so intense it's almost unholy! It is really wonderful that the grass is so green and flowers grow without watering them every other day, but it would be even nicer to not sweat buckets when it's hot. Even nicer than that would be to have non-frizzy hair again. I miss being able to NOT do my hair and have it look ok. Not great, but not a 'fro! And I really miss knowing that it was going to be nice weather. You never can tell, here.

I may have news about church tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. Now for the pictures I've been promising everyone...

No comments: