Sunday, October 01, 2006

General Conference

Conference weekend is much nicer in Utah than it is in Lincolnshire! I miss waking up late, stumbling into the family room, and watching General Conference in my pajamas. Last year we watched it all at the church. This year we went to the Mundays' house and watched it via the internet. Hooray for BYU TV! We haven't watched all of the Sunday afternoon session, as it is bed time over here, but we watched all the other sessions.

I love General Conference. What a great opportunity to learn and grow--and to make any course corrections that may be needed. What a great opportnity to actually get something out of my Sunday activities other than a huge headache from all the Primary children.

Things are going well at our jobs--especially for Martin. He finally made it onto the front page of top performers in total revenue and excess protection sales, which gives him "Matrix Points." He may also make the Elite Club, which doesn't mean anything much to people who don't work for Enterprise in the UK, but basically means he is now eligible to apply for a promotion. He was sort of eligible before, but not really. Hard to explain, but whatever. The important thing is, there's nothing holding him back from a promotion and (hopefully) a little more cash!

We got some work done on the house this weekend, even though most of it was just tidying up. I did some more dry-wall adhesive on the bare brick in the front room, and so we have another bit of the house that looks more like a house and less like a cave. I did about 1/3 of the south wall of the front room, and it looks GREAT! It is nearly ready to plaster. It's hard work though, and I have to be very careful not to over-do it. Last time I really went to town with the plastering, I tore my hands to pieces. I just get so involved. It's incredibly satisfying to make the bare brick into a proper wall!

Massage is good. On Wednesday we had to massage each other for the first time. It was just the front of the leg, but we actually had to get undressed. Stranger than that was touching someone's bare skin--someone we barely knew. It was awkward, but now we have done it once, each time will be easier. And I'm even more glad I chose to do the course, because it really is soothing to give someone a massage. All the family should be really sad they are not here, because I will have to get tons of practice and everyone could have been getting free massages.

Martin and I both went for seperate nights out on Friday--both of us with work--and were both really glad (once more) that we don't drink. There are some serious alcoholics over here. My boss, Alison, is a lovely person, but I lost a lot of respect for her when she actually sat down and planned what she had to do in order to get completely trashed. Martin's work night out ended in a trip to a lap-dancing club which he mised out on because he came home to me. Interesting!

Anyway, doing well. Our finances are more under control now, and that feels good. We are making progress on the house. Martin is doing good at work. I'm enjoying my class. We're actually DOING stuff, which is strange, but nice. How are all of you???

Miss my American friends and family! Come and see me!!!

No comments: