Monday, September 03, 2007

Dylan John Gilbert's birth story...


Well, it’s been nearly a week since I went into labour, and I finally feel up to writing down the whole experience without crying like a baby myself!

Last Monday was a bank holiday, and Martin and I went to the Cleethorpes seafront with some friends for a picnic. We had a great time, though I was really tired and feeling VERY heavily pregnant. I was eight days over due at that point. But we did a lot of walking, and I played catch with Martin and ate about half a pineapple (you never know what’s going to work, right?).

That night I felt a little bit off. I just put it down to the very active day we’d just had. But then I got up for my nightly 4 am toilet run. On my way back from the bathroom I felt a warm gush. I knew I hadn’t peed myself because I had literally just peed one minute before. So that was it—my waters broke on the upstairs landing about 3:45 am on Tuesday the 28th..

I woke Martin up, and we called the hospital. They paged the Barton team midwives, and we called my parents and his parents to let them know that things were starting. We were tired, but REALLY excited!

When the midwife arrived at 5:00 am, she did an internal exam. Having an exam in my own bedroom was so bizarre! I was still absolutely gushing amniotic fluid, and it had a greenish tinge to it, so she told us that we needed to get to the hospital fairly soon in case it was meconium even though I wasn’t having any contractions yet. So I got a shower and we made our way to the hospital.

We arrived just after 6 am, and by the time we got there I was having contractions every 5 minutes. They weren’t very painful, but they were definitely noticeable. We got booked in, but had to wait until noon to be seen by a doctor because there were two emergency c-sections being done that morning. So we went for a little walk, got some breakfast, bounced on the birthing ball, etc. My contractions kept getting more painful, but nothing I couldn’t manage.

I was finally seen at noon, and things went rapidly downhill from there. The doctor started me on Syntocin to increase the frequency of my contractions, and it worked a treat. Unfortunately, though I was contracting every 3 minutes or so, my cervix was not dilating. In fact, it never dilated to more than one cm. I tried gas and air, but it just made me sick and I spent the rest of my labour experience vomiting every 30 minutes or so. The pain became too much to bear at around 6 pm, so I asked for an epidural. Unfortunately, the anesthetist was assisting in yet another c-section, so I didn’t get the epidural until about 8:30 pm. Finally, after having regular contractions for around 20 hours (about 12 of those hours being hard contractions) the doctors decided to do an emergency c-section. I was so happy that I cried. I honestly don’t think I would have had the energy to give birth naturally at that point anyway, even if I could have!

I had a spinal block (the anesthetist said that my epidural was “patchy” and had probably only been working at about 30%) and it was so good to not be in pain any more. They started prepping me for surgery at about 12:30 am on Wednesday the 29th of August, and Dylan John made his appearance at 1:00 am exactly.

It was hard for me to not be able to hold him right from the beginning. I just wanted to hold him close and kiss him. But Martin was great—he cut the cord and then held Dylan for me to see him the whole time they were stitching me up and I was in recovery being observed. I finally got to hold him at about 3 am, and it was more wonderful than I ever imagined.

We spent all day Wednesday and Thursday in the hospital and came home Friday evening at around 6 pm. They wanted me to stay another day, but I just wanted to get home. The staff were wonderful—especially the midwife who attended the birth and the one who helped me establish breast feeding on Wednesday morning. After months of worry and disgust with the NHS, they totally redeemed themselves in my eyes.

Dylan is absolutely perfect, and I have spent the last 6 days falling madly in love with him. It took a little while for me to realize that this perfect little boy is the baby I’ve been carrying all this time. I think it’s because I was so detached from the actual birth. But we have definitely bonded now, and even though he still scares me sometimes and I am completely overwhelmed by parenthood, I have never been so happy in my life. We waited over 5 years for this little guy, and he was worth all of it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I am sitting at my computer, reading this on Labor Day Monday, and I am tearing up. Honestly, I am just so happy that everything went well, at least to the point that you are both healthy and here. Your baby is BEAUTIFUL! (I mentioned to Martin that I felt okay calling male children beautiful, at least before they reach a certain age, so I hope you are okay with it too.)

LOVE! Krystle

Anonymous said...

I can't get that cutie out of my mind after seeing him yesterday! He truly is perfect! I am so happy for you guys.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new baby boy. He is beautiful, although he definitely doesn't look like a new born. Your Moms excited to get a hold on that new grandbaby. Best wishes!!!

Deb