Saturday, November 10, 2007

Dylan's First Trip to the Swimming Pool...

First there was the hassle of waking him up earlier than usual and feeding him VERY quickly. Dad was taking the morning off work to go with us, so we had to be less flexible than usual with his morning sleep. Then there was the adventure of getting him into his Little Swimmers nappy and swim trunks. Then, there was the automatic shower at the Scunthorpe Leisure Centre pool. THEN, we got into the water.

He was a little bit unsure at first--he had never had that much room to move in the water before--well, not for a LONG time anyway. But ten minutes into the whole experience, he was starting to smile. We took him into very shallow water and let him push against the bottom of the pool--he was actually trying to stand up. And he looked so cute in his little swim trunks! Sadly, cameras were not allowed at the pool due to the intense fear of pedophiles, but take my word for it, he was adorable!

Poor little guy is sick now, and so am I. Taking care of a baby when you are sick and want nothing more than to curl up in a ball and sleep for three days is HARD WORK! But we are managing. Last night he screamed for 5 hours straight. He just wanted to be held and would cry if I set him down even for a second. Most of the time he cried if I was holding him, too. Tonight he is still awake and he should have been asleep over an hour ago. Typically, I am on my own since Martin is still at work. But I am just letting him cry, because I'm stressed out and will not be able to calm him down anyway. Can't wait for daddy to come home!

But both of us are on the mend, and once again it's a case of two steps forward and one step back. Just when I start to love being a mother, something happens that makes it incredibly difficult. We'll get over it--just as soon as we can shake this cold!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hi jamie

Here is me running my mouth again, but i noticed you said you and baby are said for him you can try the infant Tynonal. You may want to check with your doctor first but when my baby i was sick that young i would give him .04 of it and it helped his fussyness becasue of the anchyness from the cold. Hoped thing get better for you

Cya

Beth

Celeste said...

Frances always seems to get sick a few days after swimming. I think she drinks too much water!

It is hard to take care of someone totally dependent on you when you're sick as well. I hope you both get better quickly.

If you want, you can check out my blog at lay-communique at blogspot also.

Anonymous said...

That is the worst time to be a mommy and have to take care of someone else because all you want is to have someone taking care of you. A couple of weeks ago I was up literally all night taking care of my 5 year old who was hugging the toilet every 30 minutes all night long. Torture. It will pass.
Love ya, Adriane