Saturday, April 26, 2008

The beauty of a Saturday off work...

Martin's been working 6 days a week for so long now that it has become pretty normal. But the Place now has an assistant chef and the part time front of house staff are good enough, so Martin is getting every other Saturday off work. It's so lovely, especially when we have nice weather.

Today we got a lot of work done in the garden. The concrete is pretty much gone. We nearly have the gravel down by the door, and we have started replacing the cinder block border with brick (the brick that was laid underneath the concrete)! About 1/3 of the grass has been planted, and another third is ready to go after today. Martin's mum gave us a bridal wreath, and I planted it this afternoon. I also got a lot of the brick courtyard area cleared today. Martin and I are going to have a garden bonfire as soon as we've had a few dry days. I'll try to get some pictures taken tomorrow if it doesn't rain. It still looks untidy as we have to haul away some rubble. Plus I haven't planted anything yet so the borders are a bit bare. But it looks 10 times better than it did a few weeks ago, and a hundred times better than it did with the concrete.

We're all doing well, though it's been a busy week. Tonight was the first night all week that we've had a "normal" bed time with Dylan. It was actually really nice to just have a night in. Yesterday was the Hull Stake Spring Ball. Helen and Emma came over and we got all dolled up together, then we went over to the church in Hull and boogied. Emma looked especially gorgeous. And Martin was pretty darn sexy, too. I might post a few pictures of that.

On Monday we went out to dinner for Laurence's birthday, which was good. Tuesday was a quiet day, but I went to my boxing class (very good, and I wasn't nearly as sore afterwards as I was last week). Wednesday was baseball practice for Martin. Thursday was choir, of course. And then last night. I hope next week is quiet.

Dylan hasn't been very well this week. I've had to do a few extra loads of laundry due to baby sick and poo. Icky! He has three teeth coming in on top, and I think this is just how his body is reacting to teething. He hasn't been that interested in food, and vomits pretty much any time he has solids. But he's still holding down my milk just fine, so I'm not too worried. Today we went in to Scunthorpe to open a bank account for him, and we had lunch in a little Polish restaurant in town. The food was lovely, but as we were about to leave we discovered that Dylan had a diaper explosion. I changed him, and his clothes were all dirty--even his shirt. We stripped him naked and walked to H&M with him wearing nothing but a diaper and a big grin. Good thing it was warm today. He got a new outfit out of the whole thing, anyway.

I think the weirdest part of Dylan being poorly is that he's not fussy about it at all. Sometimes he throws up in the middle of the night and we don't know about it until morning because he just does it and then goes back to sleep. He's so sicky, but he's still so laughing and happy. Thank goodness for that--I had enough of crying baby in the first 4 months of his life.

Incidentally, I'm not pregnant. Thought I might be, but it turns out I just had a stomach bug or something. That was actually kind of a relief. It's a bit soon to be having another baby. I can't imagine having a newborn baby and a 16 month old. That would be so difficult!

Anyway, must go to bed. It's nearly 11 pm here and we have a baby who wakes up at around 7 am regardless of what time he goes to sleep. I miss sleeping in!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, I would have never known how much work what you just described is if we hadn't have bought a house, that is for sure! I have always underestimated the value of landscaping. It is a royal pain, but I can tell I'm going to love it so much when I can look at it and tell myself, "Hey, I did that!"

Good luck with your projects, I for sure want to see pictures!

I always think I'm pregnant at about 3 or 4 months postpartum and freak out a little. I think it's all those crazy hormones for me. It's always a relief when I hit the year mark with my kids and know I'm in the clear!

Good to hear from you! Love ya, Tara

Anonymous said...

You sound busy. I know that I couldn't handle kids close together, that's why mine are 3 years and almost 5 years apart. And believe me a 16 month old is enough work by himself. Ashlee is 17 months and I am always up and going with her.