Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Edith vomited tonight...

Not normally a good way to start a post, I know.  Usually what would follow would be a "woe is me" rant about how much is sucks to be a parent sometimes.  Not this time, though.

When I heard Edith start crying, I went straight up.  She's been a bit under the weather lately and so I thought something might be going on.  I saw the mess, and started dealing with it.  Took her clothes off, held her while I stripped her bed, grabbed some clean pajamas, and took her to my room to sort her out. 

I got her cleaned up and changed, and she was just lying on my bed looking at me.  I looked at her, and she looked up at me with those eyes of hers, totally innocent yet all-knowing at the same time.  And that fleeting but familiar wave of love washed over me.  For one moment I loved my daughter with the most pure love imaginable.  Cleaning her up and comforting her wasn't a chore.  It was a privilege.

We had the most tender moment.  I stroked her face until she started to drift off to sleep, then decided I probably ought to feed her as she had just emptied her stomach.  So I fed her, but continued stroking her face and holding her hand.  By the time she was full, we were both totally content.  And I considered myself the luckiest woman in the world.

Being a mother has been hard for the last week or so.  I go through periods when I can't stand my life, and they are dark times, indeed.  But moments like the one I just had with my daughter bring me back to reality.  They make me realize that being a mother IS rewarding.  I do enjoy my life most of the time.  And I live for those moments of pure love.

No comments: