Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Empty nest...

I took dad to the train station this morning, and by now he should be winging his way over the Atlantic ocean.  Back to my mom, who he has been missing terribly, and back to my brother and sisters over there.  Oh, and his tomato plants.  He's been pretty concerned about those!

I have to be honest, I was a bit worried about having him here.  Dad and I haven't had much to say to each other since my rather difficult teen-age years.  But we never ran out of things to say, and I enjoyed every minute of his visit.  Matter of fact, I would have been happy to have him stay a bit longer.

The kids have also enjoyed getting to know their grandpa face-to-face.  They were very affectionate with him, which made him very happy.  And he told me they are sweet kids and I am doing a good job with them, which is all I ever want to hear from my family members.

Now Dylan is back at school and Edith is napping.  Martin is at work.  My front room is tidy for the first time in about 2 weeks.  I've caught up on all my recorded telly for the last week.  Just another hour or so worth of back-ironing to complete.  Life is back to normal and under control.  It's nice, but kind of sad at the same time.  An upheaval is wonderful when it comes in the form of a mini-vacation and a visit from family.

We will miss you, dad.  Bon voyage!

No comments: