Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Easter

Sorry mom, no pictures. Our camera is broken and Martin hasn't had a chance to research our next one yet. I'm relying on his mobile phone for photos at the mo. Tiresome, as I really want to get some pictures of my gorgeous children on here.

We had a good Easter. We were visited by the American Easter Bunny (although he's probably actually the Mormon Easter Bunny, as he visits on Saturday so that Sunday can be all about Jesus). He brought the kids a new small toy each and some plastic eggs filled with sweeties. That poor bunny had a job and a half getting those eggs in England, too. Seriously, that was hard work! He left the kids a treasure map that they had to follow to find their eggs. That bunny also needs to work on his penmanship so Dylan can read his handwriting, Martin ;)

We attempted to spend that Saturday in Sutton-on-Sea with some friends, but their car broke down. We were already there, so we went to the beach and collected sea shells. Then we ate fish and chips (mmmmm, chips...)and took the kids to the arcade in Mablethorpe on our way home to play on the penny machines. A good time was had by all. We even squeezed in a visit with the great-grandparents, which is always nice.

Sunday was a typical day, really. Church all morning, Skype call in the afternoon, etc. I'm sure the Easter talks were great, but the kids were on a sugar high and pretty hard to manage.

We've all been enjoying the Easter school holidays. I'm not even being sarcastic, either. Dylan is a bit high maintenance to have at home all day, but it's so nice to not have to get him to school in the mornings and be back by a certain time to pick him up. We've been going on little mini-outings, and having a great time. I think Edith is ready for Dylan to go back to school though, as she keeps asking me with real hope in her eyes if he is going to school today.

Things we have done so far on the Easter hols:

Beach (see above)
Doncaster Dome (swimming, naturally)
Cinema ("Pirates, in an Adventure with Scientists!")
North Lincolnshire Museum (made dinosaur door hangers, and Dylan got to see a skeleton!)
Humber Bridge Country Park (awesome walk through the old quarry over there)
20/21 Visual Arts Centre (made bin bag bugs named Beetle Joe, Princess Bug, and Buzzy Bee)
Cleaned out the kids' closet (not fun, but still something we did)

I'm almost out of ideas, but he's back at school on Tuesday. And the kids are having a sleep-over at their Auntie Cathy's house on Friday and we have a family birthday party on Saturday, so the weekend's sorted.

Phew, school holidays are hard work!

We've been having some neighbor issues, but I'm not in a place where I'm ready to blog about it. It's kind of a major thing in my life right now, but I don't know where to go with it yet. In fact, I'm wondering if I should just post pictures and details of outings with the kids here and save my thoughts for a traditional journal. Part of me thinks it would be a good idea. Because my honesty and refusal to sugar coat my life are what I am most proud of on my blog, but are also the things which tend to get me into trouble.

I'm torn, because this blog was always meant to be for my friends and family--the people who know me best and understand my sense of humor, my political views, my religious sentiments and my bluntness. In other words, for the people who aren't likely to get offended by my word choice or subject matter. For the people who really care about what's going on in my life, and want to hear it all--the good, the bad, and the ugly. So do I stop writing for them (and for myself) so I don't anger the people who don't know me that well but are reading it anyway?

Yes, I know my blog is public. But it's about my private thoughts all the same. So what do I do? Should I make the blog private and continue to express my thoughts and feelings? Do I keep it public and only write about "safe" things? Do I just carry on doing what I've always done, and try to ignore the occasional fallout caused by my matter-of-fact discussion about what really happens in my life?

Comments would be welcome. But I am in charge here, so I reserve the right to delete any that I think are mean :)

4 comments:

Greg, Ang & 4 kidlets said...

My opinion is you make it private so only people who really love you and care about you guys are reading it:) Who cares about anyone else? Just saying:)

Della Marie said...

I'm one of ShaNeil's friends (I'm the hit from Malad), and sometimes, when I check her blog for updates...an effort which is mostly futile :) I click the link to your blog. I think your life is interesting and I love the way you write. It can be difficult to find "mommy blogs" that are well written and worth reading, but I think that yours is. ANYWAY, I like to read your blog and would miss it if it was private, though I can understand why you might want it to be. That's all.

Hopefully I haven't weirded you out...

Jamie said...

Hey Della Marie, not weirded out at all. Thanks for the compliment! Still undecided on privatization--it didn't exactly work out that well for the National Rail Service. Hmmm...

MontyFam said...

Hi Jamie! I really like reading your honesty. It's very brave of you and refreshing. I'm not very good at putting feelings in to words and you always seem to say what I wish I could! I would understand if you made your blog private though.
Melissa