Friday, March 16, 2007

Hooray for the NHS...

Never thought I'd say that again, given the incompetent bumbling that has been involved with my entire pregnancy to date. But two really good things happened this week with them.

The first was when I went to see my GP (Dr. Wellings, who has 0 personality and even less of a bed side manner). I needed a refill on my inhaler, and I asked him if that was still all there was for asthma treatment. Not any more, it's not. The NHS have discovered that some people's asthma is better managed with tablets (what do you know?) and he told me to see the asthma nurse about a trial of the new pills they have just started prescribing. I can't take them while I'm pregnant, but you'd better believe I'll be in the office the week after Maggot's born getting hooked up!

Also good was someone at the midwifes' office. I phoned up because they didn't give me a maternity exemption card (I am supposed to get free drugs while I'm preggers) and I needed to get my prescriptions filled. The midwife I talked to got my details, and then she said she'd bring the form I needed to take to my GP to the house. 20 minutes later, the form was pushed through my letter box. Someone actually went out of their way to help me!

It's funny, how your opinion of good service changes. When we first moved over here, I was constantly annoyed by people working in government offices, banks, etc. because I felt they were so unhelpful. I was used to people going above and beyond, and had come to expect it (and maybe even to demand it) of the the people I came in contact with. Now, every time someone is kind or extra helpful, it seems like a little gift. They are doing something that they don't have to, and I appreciate them so much more for doing it.

Living in this country really makes me appreciate the way I grew up. I know Americans have a bad reputation for being pushy and insincere (and let's not forget arrogant--always arrogant). And maybe I am biased. But I think Americans are GREAT! We are friendly, outgoing, confident, and warm. And if these traits are sometimes all a show? Who cares? People are still being nice to you, and at the end of the day, that's what really matters. I'd rather have insincere kindness than honest loathing.

Anyway, I'm done now. I just wanted to say Yay England, and include a big Hooray America!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that we, your faithful blog readers, are ready for some pictures of your glowing pregnant self!!

Happy St. Patty's Day!