Monday, April 16, 2007

Ah, sweet relief…

I had a long week. Another infection (this time my tonsils, and it spread to sinuses) and my asthma flared up again. The worst part of it was, I was completely unable to sleep at night. I would fall asleep just fine, then wake up about 3 ½-4 hours later and not be able to get back to sleep. Honestly, last week was one of the longest of my life!

After a trip to see my GP (with many apologies about coming in so frequently lately) and a course of antibiotics, I am on the mend. The best part is, I got 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep last night. I feel like a new woman! And, I can completely understand why sleep deprivation is used as a form of torture. I hope it’s not like that after the baby’s born, but I think I should be OK. After all, I will be able to sleep when the baby sleeps as I don’t have any other children to take care of!

In other good news, I spoke to my employer (the temp agency) this morning and they think I will probably be eligible for maternity pay! That’s fantastic news for us, as it means I will receive 90% of my wages for 6 weeks and then a further £108 per week for the next 26 weeks if I choose to do so (that’s about $200/week for those of you who are currency conversion challenged). I have to turn in a form that they forgot to give me at the midwives first (idiots), but they’re pretty sure I’ll qualify. Best news I’ve had in months!!!

Martin and I had a really nice weekend, other than what lately has been our chronic car problem. I got rested up on Saturday morning, and then we went shopping, had dinner, and went to a movie. Then we spent a leisurely Sunday morning walking and feeding the ducks (and 2 geese) at Water’s Edge park. Then Church, of course, and time with his parents.

Today Martin is helping out at the Mundays’ house. They are taking some of the gravel from our back garden and using it to fill their front flower bed. So Martin was going to help load some of that and spread it, then he was going to assist with the laying of some laminate flooring. He’s never done that before, so it should be interesting to see how that goes. Anyway, next Monday Lewis is going to come over and help get some work done on our front room. Good trade, I think!

Speaking of Martin, he had another excited to be a parent moment on Saturday. We discovered that the cinema in Hull (just across the river from us) does “child screenings.” Every time a new kids’ movie comes out, if you pay for a child’s ticket, one adult goes free. He’s pretty jazzed about that, since he loves children’s movies anyway. He’s looking forward to the activities that we can do with kids. Fair enough—I always knew he would be the fun parent and I would be the mean one.

1 comment:

BenJoeM said...

WOW!

It is so great to hear from you. Of course I would want to keep in touch. Though or last years together in school ended weird (for lack of a better term), I always considered you a dear friend. I am glad to see you are doing well, and I am SO EXCITED for you and the baby!