Monday, April 30, 2007

24 Weeks…

Yesterday marked a huge milestone in my pregnancy. I’m not sure how it works in the U.S., but 24 weeks marks the legal age of viability for a fetus in the UK. From this point on, should I have complications, delivering the baby would be considered early labor instead of a late miscarriage and the hospital staff would be legally obligated to try to save him (or her).

Obviously I don’t want to go into labor this early (though the prospect of having my body all to myself again is rather appealing), but just knowing that they would try to save my baby is a comfort and a huge weight off my shoulders. I can hardly wait to get to the point where the baby would most likely survive on its own if it were born.

I can hardly believe that I am just shy of 6 months pregnant. I was laying in bed this morning thinking about how happy I am. Seriously, I am really happy right now. I feel healthy, my baby is developing normally, I’m madly in love with my husband, and it just goes on and on. Of course, the eternal pessimist in me really thinks something is going to go wrong now. I guess I will be getting increasingly uncomfortable from here out.

Martin’s dad just got back from a week in Texas (work related) and he brought me Reese’s Pieces, pancake mix, and a giant bottle of Ranch dressing. Just a few more reasons to be happy!

Funny story from the weekend. We went down to Water’s Edge to feed the ducks yesterday. It was lovely, though the weather was not the nicest. We got to see some adorable little ducklings and goslings, and even a nesting swan. We fed the birds all of the bread we had, and then started our walk home. Martin had to spit, so he did—into the water. Unfortunately, one of the birds thought it was another piece of bread. He scooped up Martin’s spit and had long strings of it hanging from his beak—ew! So Martin may be responsible for the next violent outbreak of avian flu!

Martin got some news at work that was a little bit upsetting to me. The owners now want him to work every Friday and Saturday night! I was so angry when I found that out. We get to spend so little time together anyway, and then they take away the occasional weekend we can spend some time together! Once I have the baby and am at home a lot, it won’t matter so much. But seriously, some weeks I feel like Martin and I haven’t seen each other at all. I HATE his job sometimes.

On a positive not, though, the horrible Jade may be getting fired soon. They’ve hired another member of staff. His name is Rob, and he seems very nice. He’s 17, but looks older than Martin. And he doesn’t have a problem with authority figures. Martin really likes him and thinks he has a lot of potential. Plus he is enjoying having someone to talk football with.

Anyway, enough of this rambling and endless post. More later this week, OK?

No comments: