Monday, August 18, 2008

Marriage to a sports fanatic...

I knew Martin was a sports fiend when we first met. He forgot we had a date because he went to softball practice, for crying out loud. The fact that he ranks sports pretty high on his priorities list is not news, but it still irritates me from time to time.

Yesterday I felt REALLY sick. We went in to church, but I only made it through the first hour. Martin very kindly brought me home. He tucked me and Dylan into bed for a nap, and then left for 5 1/2 hours to go play baseball. I could hardly drag myself out of bed, and he left me alone with Dylan to play a stupid game!

I have always been really disgusted by those men who play on a sports team of any kind and make it the most important thing in the world. It doesn't matter what sport it is, either. You know those sad, pathetic men, right? They treat their Saturday softball team like they're playing major league baseball or their Sunday league football team like they have a chance at winning the Carling Cup. They only take days off work for their team, and all family trips have to coincide with away games? I feel like I am married to that man!

The cherry on top of the weekend was that football season has started again. Match of the day is back on, so Martin will be spending the next 9 months watching it every Saturday and Sunday night. If we do happen to go out we will have to be home by 10pm so he doesn't miss it. And baseball is still going on, so he will tape that and stay up after match of the day to watch it. He will go to bed at around midnight or later every weekend for the forseeable future, and will then be grumpy and useless in the morning when I need to rest. He will complain about being tired, and it will be totally self inflicted!

OK, I feel better now that I got that off my chest.

In other news, Dylan spent his first night wawy from us. He slept over at Nanna and Grandad's house on Friday. I was really worried that he'd be upset on Saturday morning when he woke up and Martin and I weren't there, so I woke up early anyway, but he was really good. He woke up early, but wasn't fussy or upset. We're planning another sleepover for our anniversary next month.

We went to the church fete in Wootton on Saturday. It was a party/fundraiser for the Anglican church in the village, and it was good fun. We bought some cakes, Martin played a few games, and Dylan crawled around on the grass and was just generally adorable. Afterwards we went to the Mundays' for dinner. Once the kids were asleep Emma and I did some scrapbooking and Martin and Lewis played on the XBox. And yes, we did leave in time for Martin to watch Match of the Day.

So that was our weekend. It was pretty good, all things considered!

3 comments:

Greg, Ang & 4 kidlets said...

I know exactly how you feel- except it is with hunting & fishing, not sports:) Hunting pretty much takes priority from the beginning of August to the end of October. I shouldn't complain though because that is only three months & not the whole year huh? But then there is always fishing & camping the rest of the time:)

Unknown said...

Sorry for being a jerk - will at least have somebody come to keep you comany in future.

Can't really change who I am though - you know I love sports, but nowhere near as much as I love you. I try to include you as much as I can, and I love it when you and Dylan come with me to games.

Hopefully we can try and enjoy things together more in the future, maybe work out details before hand!

Anonymous said...

I have a bit of that problem with my hubby too. He is a major Chicago Cubs fan and if a cubs game is on he is watching it. If it's not on tv, it's on the computer for 3 hours. Luckily he is good about me being able to be on the comp as long as he can periodically check the score. He went out of town for Youth Conference a few weekends ago and called both nights for updates on the score of the games. He is very good about being patient and not rushing if we are out on a date and a game is on. So, he is a sports fiend, but also considerate and all.