Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Wahoo!

I just booked our tickets to come and visit the family at Christmas! We are flying out on the 16th of December and will be staying for three whole weeks--can you stand us for that long, mom?

The best bit is, we are flying from Humberside airport instead of Manchester. It means an extra connection at Schiphol, in Amsterdam, but it also means that we are flying from the airport that's a 15 minute drive from our house instead of 2 1/2 hours. Even with us actually flying away from our destination to start, we are still saving hours of time and not spending that much more money. Hooray for regional airports and KLM (Royal Dutch Airlines)!

Now I just have to wait until the 16th of December. I can hardly wait to smell that sweet, clean, dry Utah air and give everyone big hugs and kisses. And I can't wait for all of you to meet my beautiful Dylan. I just hope he's good on the flights. How on earth are we going to keep him still for 17+ hours? Any travel tips from parents with young kids. And I don't mean giving them Benadryl before the flight--I think it's horrible to drug your kids up so they sleep the whole time!

6 comments:

Greg, Ang & 4 kidlets said...

I could give you the advice of a mini bottle- that's what Stacy (my nanny mom) did when we went to Florida. She was TERRIFIED of flying so she got her some and then let 2 yr. old Nicholas try some- but of course I'm totally kidding:)

Yeah!!! We will be so happy to see all of you! The countdown begins. By the way- Dylan makes an ADORABLE horsie:)

V said...

I can't wait to see you guys and especially Dylan. The kids know him well from his pics and already loves him so much. About the flight. I once had a flight attendant tell me that she always keeps a couple rolls of tape with her on flights and she just gives the baby's little strips of it to play with. I don't know about that, but it may be worth a try. I also have a friend that is an air flight attendant, I will ask her about some more ideas OK. Love you. Oh did you get Dylans Birthday package?

Adams Family Album said...

YAY! That's so wonderful that you get to come home! I'm excited for you! Get a countdown ticker up and start counting the days!

Unknown said...

YAYYING i keep telling your mom that i miss you. But about the flying thing No dont do benadryl the change in the air can counter act with his body and if he has meds in his system it could make him very sick BUT But there is something you can do that iv dont when i had to take allee to wyoming on a flight becasue i was breast feeding her. SLEEP DEPRIVATION. I was worried about it at first but thought it was ok becasue my dad told me to do it but it what you do is you take away all of their naps the day before and put them to bed to 2 to 3 hours later then normal and wake him up 2 to 3 hours eairler then you nornally would then dont let him sleep until hes get on the plane. YES he will be the fussy but he will be so tired the movement of the plane will put him to sleep. It sounds mean but it really not that bad oyu just stimulate him ALOT and if the airlines will let you bring toys and a confort item. All i can say is that it worked for me--cant wait to see you

Emma said...

Sucking helps when you take off and land. I have trouble with my ears so it is really painful when I fly. The only thing I found to relieve it - and having been a air cadet it was quite vital I sorted it - was to suck hard boiled sweets. As Dylan can't do this, perhaps you could give him bottle while you take off and land?

House of Wilcox Rock!!! said...

I dunno homie, traveling with kids is hard. The mini-bottle is a good idea, but for you; if you guys are a little tipsy he'll be less annoying...