Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Knowing your limits...

My body is on the mend again, having spent the last three or four days suffering from asthma again. I have decided that the key to controlling my asthma while I am pregnant is knowing what I can and can't do.

I spent the last three days doing as little as possible, and it seems to have really made a difference. As opposed to the week or two that it took me to recover last time, four days is a HUGE improvement! Although I feel really lazy when I am sick, I've realized that it's what I need to do.

It really takes a lot for me to sit back and let Martin take care of me. I am so proud of the fact that I manage this house, cook the meals, clean it, and take care of Dylan on my own. Don't get me wrong--Martin helps out a lot when he gets home. But there are things that he just doesn't think about doing, and the house isn't done to my standards. A lot of times I push myself and do things even when I am tired or unwell, just because I know that if I don't do them they won't get done. But I can't do that right now.

I am having to take a step back and consider my health and the health of the new baby rather than the cleanliness of my house and having a home cooked meal on the table when Martin gets home. It's frustrating, but I am starting to see that I have to let things slide if I want to be able to take care of myself and my babies. So I have to let Martin carry laundry up and down the stairs. I have to let him vacuum the stairs when he comes home. I have to cook really simple meals and let him fetch and carry stuff for me when he comes home. I have to just be a little bit embarrassed when people drop by unexpectedly and my house isn't very tidy. And I will do it, though I hate it, so that I can breathe and Dylan and newbie are healthy and happy.

Though I do sometimes feel like Dylan is being raised by the BBC. I guess we'll see if he starts talking with an English accent instead of an American one!

By way of a general update, we now have a car that is registered in our names and is insured. It's lovely to drive, but it's HUGE compared to our old cars. I will have to get used to parallel parking a boat and driving a bigger car on these tiny roads. SO nice to have wheels again. I drove to go grocdery shopping, run to the bank, and take Dylan swimming yesterday.

Dylan had a great swimming day! He actually swam by himself, with no help from me. We put one of those little noodle things under his arms (He won't wear arm bands and doesn't really like having a life jacket on) and let him swim after a beach ball and some bath toys. He was kicking like crazy and doggy paddling. I just stayed right next to him to steady him when he started to slip. He's going to be a fantastic swimmer as he gets a little bit older. Plus, he was absolutely exhausted last night and went to sleep really easily.

Martin is staying busy at work. He's actually cooking today since it's Karen's birthday and she took the day off. Plus, he's doing a lot of stuff when he gets home (as mentioned above). He finished fitting the double glazing film in the windows last night while I watched a movie downstairs. What a superstar! As soon as I am feeling up to it, we are going to do some plastering in Dylan's bedroom so we can get it painted. I do the actual plastering, but Martin mixes it up for me. I hate dealing with the mix because it smells funny and is a dirty, goopy mess. He's done most of the wiring work already.

I don't think the house will be ready for putting on the market in January, but it won't be long after that--February or March at the latest, I hope. We'll need to tidy up the garden a bit and finish off a few corners, but we're nearly there. Martin's Grandad Priestly is going to come and help us wallpaper the stairways and landings after Christmas. I know that I have said some not too complimentary things about wallpaper, but we can't afford to have plasterers come in and do the space, and I won't be up to doing it myself during my third trimester of pregnancy. I don't have very good balance at the best of times, and can just imagine myself heavily pregnant and standing on a ladder to plaster the 20 foot stairway. Fantastic!

Anyway, must get on with a little light housework. Pictures coming up soon--maybe during Dylan's nap?

No comments: