Monday, December 29, 2008

Our first days in the U.S.

So yeah, we made it here safely after a relatively uneventful day of flying. Dylan did really well, all things considered, though he had a little bout with travel sickness. And when I say a little, what I mean is Monty Python-esque quantities of vomit on the transatlantic flight. Let's just put it this way--Martin ended up wandering around the plane wearing a t-shirt and an airplane blanket in lieu of trousers whilst trying to calm down a screaming baby. I brought a spare t-shirt for myself so it was just my bra that ended up saturated in vomit. Martin looked rather fetching though--skirts really suit him!

Our flight was late getting into Salt Lake City, so we didn't get to Nephi and to bed until around 3:30 am, then Dylan woke up at around 5:30 or so. That first day was a little rough, but Dylan was adorable and played well with his cousins that he met. We went for a walk and he explored mom and dad's house. Things got interesting on Thursday.

Dylan woke early again, so we got up and gave him breakfast. He had finished eating and was toddling around the kitchen when all of a sudden he just toppled over. Martin picked him up, and he wasn't breathing. Then he started having a seizure. We called 911, and then ended up just driving him down to the hospital ourselves (faster, believe it or not, than waiting for an ambulance). On the way there he started breathing again, but he was totally limp and unresponsive. It was the most terrifying car journey of my life.

The on-call doctor took about 15 minutes to arrive, and when he got there he ordered blood tests and observed him. He sent us home about an hour and a half later, telling us that sometimes kids just have seizures for no apparent reason, but to watch him carefully and make sure his motor functions and behavior were normal. We took him home, very shaken up, and put him down for a nap. He slept for about an hour and a half, then woke up and had some lunch. Martin was getting him dressed for the day when he had ANOTHER seizure. This time we called the hospital to let them know we were on our way, and the doctor was waiting for us when we got there. They did a lumbar puncture and a CT scan, both of which were totally normal. Since he had 2 seizures that were totally explained, they referred us to Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake. And since Dylan had been seizing, they wouldn't let us transport him. So Dylan and I got to ride to the hospital in an ambulance.

We spent the next 24 hours or so at the hospital with doctors of all sorts observing Dylan. He was a trooper--only struggling when they had to put in an IV (it took three nurses to hold him down) and when he had his blood pressure taken. He had an EKG and an EEG whilst we were there, and was examined by a few neurologists. They couldn't find a single thing wrong! That was kind of a relief, but kind of frustrating as well. They discharged him about 22 hours after we got there, but sent a copy of his EEG with us and recommended that we get him an MRI on our return to the UK. They also suggested we have the EEG repeated at a later date, and gave us a prescription for an anti seizure medication to take on the flight home with us, just in case!

So that was the first three days of our vacation. Fun, huh? The best part is, we're not sure if our travel insurance covers Dylan. Could be a VERY expensive holiday.

After all the stress of the hospital and whatnot, my asthma flared up. And because of the flights and the drama, I had not been using my maintenance inhaler. So after Dylan came out of hospital, I spent the next 3 days totally laid up not able to breathe.

But since then things have been better. I've been enjoying visiting with family and friends and showing Dylan off. He's adjusted quite well to the time change and LOVES hanging out with his uncle Jace and his cousins. He's really warming to his grandparents, as well. I think dad is sick of having us around, and I think ShaNeil is getting a little bit frustrated as well, but I know it's not easy to have house guests and I totally understand. We're hanging out at Krystle's apartment right now (mom and dad don't have internet access at home) to give them a little bit of space.

Christmas was lovely, and most decidedly white. It has snowed nearly every day since we got here. Dylan was incredibly spoiled by Santa and Martin is happy because jace got a Wii that everyone's been playing on.

Hey Lewis and Emma, I am no longer a Wii virgin. I did bowling and tennis on it last night, and even have my very own Mii. And Krystle told us about a friend of hers who bought a Wii with her boyfriend and signed a "Wii-nup." Just thought it was funny and had to share.

The time is going quickly, and even though it is nice to be here, I am actually missing home. I never thought I would feel this way--I am missing england and all our friends there. Plus, it's nice to be in our own space. Being company isn't any easier than having company! Plus, I am noticing a lot of little Utah quirks that are driving me nuts--like calling Sacrament meeting "Sacrent meeting." Oh, rural Utah accents!

I'm not sure when I'll be posting again (remember the lack of internet access at the house) but I'll try to keep my loyal readers updated. I'm getting some good pictures, and can't wait to get them up.

Later!

3 comments:

Kathleen and Justin Lofley said...

I'm not sure on the dosing for Dylan's age, but I take Dramamine (they have chewable) every time I fly because, like Dylan, I get motion sickness...I just generally don't barf all over people. :) Maybe you can check on using that on your way home?

ShaNeil Cook Coons said...

Jamie! I love having you guys here. I don't know why you think I hate you. :( I love you!

Emma said...

You are missing England!!! Now I have heard it all!! He he. Glad that Dylan is ok. I hope the flight on the way back is much better for you. If you would like us to take care of Dylan for a day while you recover from jet lag then let us know. We have really missed him and would be glad to see him again.
Take care and Happy New Year
Emma
xx