Monday, June 21, 2010

The dads in my life...

A day late, but last night I actually got to spend some time with my husband and wasn't about to waste that by blogging!

I have some wonderful fathers in my life...

I was raised by my step-father, who married my mom when I was just two years old.  With their marriage, I gained a daddy as well as two wonderful big sisters.  I have never called him anything but dad, because he raised me like his own daughter and never treated me any differently, despite how difficult that must have been for him at times.  He is a good man, and a great father to his 5 daughters and son.  Now he is an amazing grandfather as well.  My dad can always be relied on to be honest, and to do what he thinks is right even when it might not be easy.  He is hard working and kind.  He expects you to always do your best, because it's what he does himself.  He inspires me to be a better person, and really that's what being a dad is all about!

I also have my daddy Doug--my biological father.  We didn't meet until I was 17, but he always sent me birthday and Christmas gifts along with a letter giving me his contact information should I want to get in touch.  Now that I know him, I realize that he was just too shy to push his way into my life.  Although he can never be as much of a dad to me as my step-father is, he enriches my life in countless ways.  He didn't raise me, but he always loved me.  Now he is taking care of his wife who has Alzheimer's, and I can see the way he is growing up.  In a strange way, he's now learning what it's like to be a full time parent the way he never was with me.  He can relate to me about the frustrations and isolation of having young children, and we have more in common all the time.  Plus, he passed his rather wicked sense of humor on to me.

I am also fortunate to have a wonderful father-in-law.  Laurence is always over here visiting his grandchildren, and can be relied on to fix things that Martin can't, either through lack of experience or lack of time.  He hooked up a water butt to my rain gutter only last week, and has been over to help with boiler and oven repairs many times.  He has some habits that I don't agree with, but if you need some help and he can provide it, he doesn't hesitate.  If for no other reason, I would love him because of how much my children adore him.  And they do!

And last, but certainly not least, is the father of my children.  Martin is amazing, and sometimes I have to take a step back and reflect on what a great father he is.  I knew he would be a good dad when I married him, but I didn't know how good until our children came along.  Not only does he love our children, but he genuinely likes them as well.  He likes to play with Dylan and Edith, and he likes to spend time with them.  He loves them enough to give them cuddles and kisses, and he also loves them enough to correct their behaviour when necessary.  And he doesn't just do the fun stuff.  Martin has always been willing to change his share of dirty diapers and clean up the sick.  He's more involved with his children than most men I know, and it shows.  The kids, well, they can never get enough of him.

I could go on to include grandfathers, as well.  I have known many good men in my life, and I appreciate them so very much.  But I'll leave it there for now and just say this:  The influence of a good man can never be measured, but should always be treasured.

Thank you to all of the fathers in my life.  You do more than you could ever know.

No comments: