Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Heartbreaking...

Apparently, there are some kids from church who don't like playing with Dylan.

A friend told me this the other day, and it's been bothering me ever since then.  She said that they don't like playing with him because he hits them. Admittedly, he DID go through a rather prolonged hitting phase. He's grown out of it now, but they haven't played together very much since then because of Martin's job and all of them being in school now.  So the boys think that Dylan still hits a lot, I guess.

Anyway, when she told me this I had the most irrational response in the world.  I immediately jumped to the defense of my child, and though knowing that they don't like to play with him doesn't bother Dylan at all, I got all hurt and offended for him. I had to stop myself from mentioning all the things that are "wrong" with her children, even though I actually think they are really good kids.  In fact, that is probably why this bothers me so much.

I pride myself on being rational (most of the time), so you can imagine my surprise when I reacted this way.  I guess it's just more proof that having kids makes me crazy.

I just want everyone in the world to think my child is perfect and see how wonderful he is.  If I'm honest with myself, I can see his flaws and faults.  In fact, I'm perfectly willing to discuss them with Martin.  We know he's high maintenance.  He likes attention.  He's demanding and bossy.  But to hear someone else mention his negative qualities and suggest he wasn't an angel really hurt me.

So stupid!

I just need to get over it. 

And I will.

No comments: