Monday, January 03, 2011

Scaredy cat...

I remember being afraid of absolutely everything when I was a little girl.  My mom would tell us horror stories about children disappearing and never being seen again--not even their bodies (obviously, a lesson not to go anywhere on our own if we could help it).  She told us about people drowning and their bodies finally floating to the surface of the lake/river/ocean, but only AFTER the fish had eaten their eyes out (obviously, this one was accompanied by a reminder to wear a life jacket).  You know--things like that.  I spent years looking over my shoulder if I was walking alone at night and freaking out if my feet touched anything other than a totally flat surface underwater, convinced that I was going to be kidnapped or drown because I got tangled in some underwater foliage.

It's probably a good thing my mom did that to us.  Seriously, I have 4 sisters and one brother, and she could never have kept an eye on all of us at once when we went places as a family.  I have to wonder, do my siblings share the same fears?  At any rate, we all survived a pretty chaotic childhood.

I'm only mentioning it because my daughter is absolutely fearless!

We took the kids to the Doncaster Dome today (google it--it's cool and I can't be bothered to put in a link) to go swimming.  It is an amazing facility.  There are water slides and fountains and hot tubs all over the place, with little nooks and crannies to hide in and shelves to sit on.  We had so much fun!  And Edith was, quite literally, squealing with excitement.  She was climbing up on the little islands in the middle of the pool and just launching herself off them into our arms.  She went down the slides on her own, and didn't even look to make sure we were waiting to catch her first.  It was quite terrifying as a parent.

I'm starting to wonder if I should try to drum some fear into her!

Martin is back at work tomorrow and Dylan is back at school later this week.  I wish we could all just hang out together and do fun things every day.  This makes me pretty excited for the next school holidays.

The only downside to the day (well, the weekend, really) is that Martin kept having to sort out work stuff.  Strangely enough, everybody called in sick on the bank holiday weekend.  Suspicious much?  So even though he was supposed to have 3 days off, he ended up spending quite a lot of time covering the "sick" employees and stressing about work cover.  Honestly, people!  Do you NOT realize that he has a life outside of work and that his family might want him around and paying attention to them, not on the phone with employees?

I am very jealous of the time the kids and I have to spend with Martin.  And fiercely protective of it.

Rant completed.

Good night!

No comments: