Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A total bust...

...but it was a good day, anyway.

Dylan had the day off school yesterday as the teachers had a training day. We thought it would be a great day to take the kids to the Doncaster Dome. They love swimming there, and Dylan very rarely has a day off with Martin.

So we drove all the way to Doncaster, with a stop in Scunthorpe on the way, only to discover that the swimming pool was closed. They'd had to drain it the day before. It was filled again, but the water hadn't heated up enough to swim.

So we quickly formulated a new plan. We took the kids to the on-site pub for lunch, because they had a soft play area. It was a big hit. Then we took them to the cinema to see "A Monster in Paris." We really enjoyed it--sort of. Edith cried because she just wanted to go to sleep. Martin got her calmed down, and she did enjoy the film. But Dylan whined every time there was a slightly suspenseful bit. ARGH!!!

Both kids were asleep within minutes of getting in the car to drive home, so Martin and I enjoyed an old Podcast of "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me." It's a news quiz on N.P.R. in case you don't know, and it made me a wee bit homesick. I love the British sense of humor, but I really miss the American sense of humor sometimes.

Anyway, we got the kids home and I made some dinner. It was too salty and the kids really didn't eat it. Another fail.

Martin got the kids bathed and into bed while I went to Aquafit. Apparently, Edith cried for about 45 minutes before she went to sleep. And I discovered while I was getting changed into my swimming suit that one of the kids had peed on me at some point. I put my t-shirt on clean, and there was a urine-reeking stain on it at the end of the day.

Awesome!

So it should have been a crappy day, right? I totally went to bed happy last night though. There's really something to be said for never having a dull moment.

It really helps that the house is nice and clean. Having spent 5 hours cleaning up for an unsuccessful house viewing, I have decided that I need to keep on top of it. So right now, the house is tidy and the laundry is completely caught up (including the ironing). I also changed all the beds and scrubbed the front room carpet.

Tomorrow, I'll be bleaching the grout between the floor tiles in the kitchen.

Oh yeah, that's the way I roll!

No comments: