Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Humiliation...

When I was very young, our family lived in a little white house on 4th South in Price, UT. Newly blended family, with my mom, step-dad, and two step-sisters (baby on the way).

We had this awesome metal jungle-gym out in the front yard. You know--the kind with hexagonal gaps that would NEVER be allowed out of the factory these days for health and safety reasons. Sharp edges, burning hot metal, slightly rickety, etcetera. We were all out playing on that jungle gym (under which, incidentally, my cousin Tisha taught us how to eat grass stems) when I felt an urgent call of nature. I needed to do a, um, number two.

(How weird--seems like a bit of Cockney rhyming slang crossed the pond and stuck.)

Sadly, at the tender age of three I wasn't able to open the door by myself. Mom was queasy with her pregnancy and soaking in the bath tub. Velecia and Angie refused to open the door for me. And sobbing my heart out, standing on the front step at the tender yet very grown-up feeling age of three, I pooped my pants. In front of my cool new big sisters and anyone who happened to be walking past at the time.

They got in so much trouble for not opening that door :)

(I swear, not all of my childhood memories revolve around my older sisters being mean to me, because that didn't happen very often. Honestly!)

Do you guys remember this?

That is such a vivid memory for me--and I was the same age that Edith is now. Ouch! What is she going to remember about the past few weeks?

2 comments:

Greg, Ang & 4 kidlets said...

I remember it very well, but only because Mom totally flipped out:) How can we ever apologize enough for this? As a Mom now I know I would be totally ticked at Anya and Haven if they did this to Emerson:)

Jamie said...

You don't need to apologize. Don't be silly :) Thirty years later, it's actually quite amusing. I would be so mad if Dylan did that to Edith, too.