Tuesday, May 01, 2012

This drought is killing me!

England is currently going through a drought.

They made the official announcement, and a few days later it started to rain. It rained every day in April except for yesterday.

Typical!

Sadly, we've had two years of below-average rainfall, and it will take another month like the last one to make up for it. We just might get it.

I like rain, but this is a bit much. I'm so tired of fishing out wellies and umbrellas every time we want to leave the house. Every trip to Tesco has become a major ordeal. And the school run--ugh.

Happily, the garden is doing great. We are re-seeding the grass, and the plants are thriving. Just need a few dry days now, so I can do some weeding.

Ultimately, I am still a desert girl. I enjoy the wet climate here, but I miss the dryness of Utah. I miss the sun. I may have to make a visit to the tanning salon to beat these gray-weather blues.

In medical news, diligent workouts + cheap shoes = plantar fasciitis. My heel hurts so bad that I hobble like an 80 year old woman when I stand up. Have to get some decent trainers for the gym, and I have to do it soon. I am also booked in for a fasting blood test next Thursday in an effort to get to the bottom of my exhaustion and horrific mood swings/depression. Of course, fasting blood sugar is all about diabetes. That kind of sucks. And the doctor thinks the mood swings might be caused by my Mirena IUD. Bad news for Martin, as getting it removed would mean the big "V" for him (that's vasectomy, for the non-squeamish).

I need a pick-me-up.

On a positive note, I managed to get the kids to bed tonight without losing my cool and shouting at them. That's a successful day in my book.

No comments: