Saturday, May 19, 2012

Memory Lane

I was on Skype with my sister Velecia last night, and we were talking about dance recital outfits. I told her adorable daughter Kenzie about one of my favorite dance recital costumes from when we were kids, and Velecia and I had a nice little trip down memory lane.

So I started to think about other childhood memories, and the way my sisters and I were so close to each other growing up. We were together almost all the time, but we probably remember totally different things. So how much fun would it be to explore those early memories, share them, and sort of fill in the blanks of our early childhoods?

So these dance costumes...

I must have been about three or four years old, which would put Angie at four and Velecia at five or six. Krystle was a new-born, and ShaNeil was just a distant dream of the possibility of a son. Jace, well, he's not going to feature in my childhood memories since my family adopted him when I was 17 (oh, the rumors that abounded in sleepy, small-town Nephi about my parents trying to pass off their grandchild as their son!). Love you, man!

We were dressed as giant butterflies. We had cute little orange body suits, with beautiful, floaty orange wings. They were trimmed in black rick-rack and tiny round mirrors. There were thin black elastic cords on our wrists, so when we lifted our arms up it looked like we were flying.

The best part of dance recitals, other than the costumes, was the make-up. Mom was always pretty strict about letting us wear make-up, and we only got to wear it on Halloween and for dancing. So whenever she dug out that cherry lipstick, my heart would skip a beat. She also put enough blush on us to shame a hooker, but that was the style, and we LOVED it!

Girly-girl right from the start.

And sisters, maybe you could put some of your childhood memories on YOUR blogs?

No comments: