Friday, May 25, 2012

They say your kids are either punishment or reward for your childhood...

Edith has been punishing me for my youthful misdeeds this week.

What a week of contrasts, too. We took her to her first ever swimming lesson on Monday, and I was so proud of her I felt like I was going to explode. And later that night I was so angry with her that I actually had to leave the house before I exploded and threw her down the stairs.

That girl is completely fearless, and she was amazing in her swimming lesson. She was chatting away to the other kids in the class, listening attentively to the instructor, and kicking her way across the pool (with a float, of course) like a pro. At the end of the lesson, all of the kids jump in. When the instructor held her arms out for her, Edith launched herself into the pool with not even a moment's hesitation.

But for the past week she has been refusing to go to bed at night. She's normally asleep by about 7:30 or 8pm, but she hasn't been asleep before 9pm since last Thursday. I'm thinking it's just one of those phases where she is testing her limits. Dylan went through a few of those, but they were before he could talk properly, and before he knew how to open his bedroom door.

The worst part of the week has been the noise. She keeps screaming at me--weirdly enough, she is screaming "good night, I love you, see you in the morning, have a good sleep, goodbye!" But it breaks my heart and makes me crazy all at the same time. I'm trying to stick to my discipline guns. It's hard, but I know I need to teach her respect for my authority NOW, or I'll have no chance when she's a teenager. My official discipline policy is that I do NOT negotiate with terrorists.

Luckily, I'm even more stubborn than she is.

Or maybe I've just had more practice :)

No comments: