Monday, May 21, 2007

None of their business!!!

I have a feeling this is going to turn into another one of those "random rants," but this one is not anti-England. I'm actually going through a brief I love England phase at the moment and am really happy to be here--especially after hearing from my dad that it's already hitting 95 degrees in Utah. It's a cool 75 or so most days here right now!

No, this random rant is about, you guessed it, pregnancy!

Can I just say that it is NOBODY'S business but my own and my midwifes how much weight I'm gaining? I had to listen to Martin's granddad, of all people, lecture me about how much food I was eating yesterday. This is, of course, after I cooked a meal for him and his wife, Martin's Nanna. AND this is the man who had extra roast beef, extra roast potatoes, and two cups of tea with sugar as well as the rhubarb and apple crumble I made (WITH custard). He really just needs to butt out! I have not gained that much weight. Is it my fault that the baby is just pushing right out the front of me and I look huge? And would you really tell someone that they need to watch what they're eating? You certainly wouldn't say that to a non-pregnant woman!

It's like my body has become public property, with every Tom, Dick and Harry feeling like they can say whatever they want about it. Oh, you're sure getting big. My goodness, is it twins? Have you got any stretch marks yet? Are you sure you should be eating that? SHUT UP!!! You are not carrying this baby--I am! I will do whatever I want, because it's my baby, and MY BODY!!!

Whew--I feel better.

On to other news--our poor car is back in the shop. While we were having the probs with the radiator, the car was running too warm. Big surprise, the head gasket's gone. We are going to be car-less for a few days, so I am hitching a lift in to work with this guy that works out on the workshop floor. I have to leave the house 30 minutes earlier than normal to walk up to meet him in the town center. He goes through Barton about 20 minutes earlier than I usually leave for work. I think he must drive really slowly or something. But I'm grateful for the lift. Anyway, we are looking at around £400 to get it fixed, which is making me nervous, but it has to be done. We decided that £400 out of pocket was better than hving to buy a new car and making payments while I'm on maternity leave.

It was a good weekend, other than being stranded in Barton. We couldn't make the drive in to church, but we were able to spend time with Martin's family (as you may have gathered, given the earlier rant). And I got a baby blanket finished and a lot of work done on another one. I also made some yummy granola and Martin and I cleaned the kitchen really well. Plus, we got a lot of work done on the guest room. It just needs a few finishing touches before it's completely ready for its first occupant. Then it's on to the front room! We're hoping to have the wiring done down there before Krystle arrives so she can watch TV downstairs instead of in our bedroom!

So that's the update. A little dull, maybe, but that's how life is, right? I always thought being a grown-up would be way more fun than this!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hi jamie
i finally found you. You sound like you are having so much fun being prego. keep in touch with me. Im well experenced with the pregancy problems.

Beth (jensen) larsen

Jamie said...

I don't think I would use "fun" and "pregnant" in the same sentence, unless the words "is not" were in there as well! How are you???

Jamie said...

I can hardly wait! I actually quite like people touching my belly, but the unsolicited comments are making me crazy and driving my angry pregnant hormones to dangerously high levels! Can't wait for my boobs to come into the picture as well as my uterus. And can I just say I'm terribly excited for the rest of my privates to be exposed to view (and open to discussion) during the birth???