Thursday, July 12, 2007

Consultant Appointment...

So I saw a real live obstetrician today for the first time in my pregnancy, and boy was it a waste of my time!

After repeatedly checking and having checked for me that I didn't actually need to see the consultant, I got a letter telling me they'd scheduled an oppointment for me. I show up at the office 5 minutes early, as instructed, pee in a cup, have my blood pressure checked (slightly high for the first time in my pregnancy), and then see the doctor. He spends about 5 minutes with me--does a very quick (and not very detailed) ultrasound to make sure the baby is head down (he/she still is), asks me if I have any questions and if I've had any problems in my pregnancy, says he is referring me to an anesthetist in case they need to do an emergency c-section (I am at a higher risk because of my BMI apparently), and then sends me on my merry way.

I just took nearly 2 hours off work for that. Oh well. I would be bitter if I had to make up the time, but legally my employer has to pay me for all doctor/midwife/ultrasound appointments. So I just got paid to sit and read a book, talk to a doctor, and pee. Fabulous. Maternity rights in this country are fantastic! In fact, I don't know if I've mentioned it or not, but I just found out that I am eligible for 39 weeks of maternity allowance instead of 26. The laws changed as of April 2007.

I really think the consultant only saw me because he wanted to avoid getting into trouble for NOT seeing me, if you know what I mean. It's standard procedure to see all women in cases like mine (elevated BMI) and I think he could have been liable to lawsuit if I hadn't been seen and there had been a problem. He just gave me the impression that he couldn't be bothered.

At any rate, nothing new to report. I am still heavily pregnant, still have an aching pelvis, still tired all the time, and still looking forward to having this baby out of me!

In non-pregnancy news...

I went over to the Munday's house last night to help Emma some more with the blankets she's making for her two adorable boys. She had already sewn one of them, and I did the other while she helped me iron the fabric for our baby sling that I'm making. Then I got some of the sling done. It was just hems, but it's good to get it started. I also brought home the Moses basket that she's letting us borrow (that's a bassinette in proper American English). It's sitting in my bedroom now, and this baby thing is becoming very real! Martin worked late as The Place stayed open late for Barton Bike Night. He's racking up the overtime this week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jamie, Kent and I have loved reading your blog. It's fun to keep up with what's going on with you. We've started a blog, it's www.lofleyfamily.com You should come see how cute Kent's kids are. Good luck with the pregnancy!