Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Work Night Blitz...

We had a houseful last night! Emma (the SAINT) Munday arranged a work night at our house. She is my visiting teacher, and my other visiting teacher is Natalie Whall. They brought their husbands over and we all worked on the house for about 3 1/2 hours. You should see the place!

I also got to meet my new MySpace friend, Deanna. That was a little bit strange as I've never actually met someone face to face that I met on line, but she is just as nice in person as she is in her e-mails, and I'm glad to have found a new friend. She is from Mesa, AZ and is married to a Brit and living in Barton. Hooray--another Yankee to complain about England to. Anyway, she brought her husband over as well, so we had a total of 8 people working on the house.

It's totally true, many hands DO make light work!

The stud wall in the living room is pretty much done. The plasterboard (sheetrock) is up and Martin just needs to cut some holes for the electrical sockets. It already looks so much better than it did, and strangely enough it actually makes the room look bigger. Martin's dad is coming over next Wednesday to help him finish off the electric stuff, then we can do the ceiling. After that's done, it's just a matter of getting the finishing plaster up and painting, then I will have an actual room instead of a builder's yard. The floor may be a while because of the cost involved, but I can always paint the concrete and buy a big rug until we have saved enough.

While the guys were downstairs working on the front room, I had the ladies helping me in the "nursery." I can even call it that now, since Martin took yesterday off work and removed the kitchen units from that room--the ones that we didn't want to keep. We painted the other ones white (we are keeping the sink and half of the cabinets in there for storage and convenience--sink in the baby's room seems like a really good idea to me!). We also got most of the room painted. I had to plaster one wall, and it wasn't dry by the time everyone went home, so I've got one wall and the ceiling to paint in there. Next week or thereabouts Martin and I are going to paint some letters and shapes in bright primary colors on the cabinets. Christine is buying us a crib, and I have made loads of blankets and had some cute ones given to me. I think I just need to make some curtains and we are pretty much set. Tonight I will move some of our baby supplies into the nursery.

I was so touched that everyone pulled together like that to help us out. Seriously, this is a huge weight off my mind to know that our house will be that much closer to done when the baby comes home. And I'm amazed that we have friends who care so much about us that they are willing to sacrifice their time, energy, and talents when we need their help. We don't deserve such wonderful friends, but I'm glad we have them!

I'm hoping to get some pictures taken and posted to the blog today--stay tuned. I'm probably going to leave work early as I am completely exhausted from yesterday's efforts. But it was SO worth it!

No comments: