Friday, July 20, 2007

GREAT News...

Yesterday was a good mail day. When I got home we had received Martin's new passport as well as getting his old one back. His birthday shoes that had to be exchanged have arrived, though they were unable to deliver them as nobody was at home--he's getting them today. His birthday baseball trousers from mom and dad came (he likes them, and they fit!). But by far the best thing that came yesterday was my approval from the benefits office for Maternity Allowance.

I am going to be able to claim Maternity Allowance for 39 weeks at a rate of £112.75 per week. It's less than half my take home pay right now, but it's 9 months that I can stay home with my little baby (if we can swing it). Martin is so relieved, and I am just happy that I won't have to go right back to work. All I need to do is sign and send back the form after my last day at work, and they will start paying the benefit every week directly into our bank account!

I know I complain about the NHS all the time, and I know I whine about the taxes quite a bit as well. England is EXPENSIVE! But I am going to be able to raise my baby instead of leaving him/her with a stranger because of those taxes. And we will be paying less income tax once Martin's wage is supporting a family of three. Not to mention the £80 a month we will be saving in petrol since I won't be driving over 30 miles every day to go to work. I think I may be able to swing this full time mother thing!

Anyway, that's the great news. In not-so-great news, I am in so much pain right now! My pelvis feels like it is breaking apart. I'm getting hardly any sleep at all now, since I can't sleep sitting up and when I lie down I am in agony. But I think my pelvis hurts this bad because the baby has dropped, which is good news, right? I honestly don't know if I'll make it until August 19th, but that would be just fine with me. I will be full term in 9 days.

This last month has been one of the longest in my life!!!

No comments: