Saturday, October 24, 2009

thinking about love...

I've been married for over 8 years now, and it's good. But I was thinking about my relationships before I met my wonderful Martin. I liked to have relationships with a bit of drama. I loved the break-ups and the fights and making up. I liked grand gestures and the highs and lows that came with them. They made life exciting, and made me feel more alive.

But as I've gotten older, I've realized that exciting isn't necessarily good in a relationship. What I have with Martin is, well, reliable. And while I sometimes miss the drama of a roller coaster love, I'll take that constancy any day!

You can't always choose who you fall in love with. I think most of us have loved someone "exciting" at one point or another, and that doesn't make that love any less real. But you can choose not to be with someone who fills your life with drama instead of sweet, gentle love. You can choose to be with someone who makes you happy instead of excited, because happiness will last a lot longer than the thrill of a roller coaster ride.

I'm hoping that the happiness I found with Martin lasts an eternity!

No comments: