Friday, October 02, 2009

My friend in the kitchen...

I have hated spiders since I was a little girl. I remember the dream that the fear stems from--I had it when my family was living in Bloomington Hills, and I dreamt that I was covered from head to toe in ants and spiders. Since then, well, I squeal like a little girl whenever I see one and all it takes is a glimpse for me to feel like I'm covered in spiders all over again.

But there is a little spider on my kitchen windowsill that has been there for quite some time now. She's about the size of a thumbtack. She has an egg sack on her web that looks like it's going to burst any day, too. She is right about eye level to me, and I sit and watch her while I am doing the dishes. I feel like she is keeping me company while I do my kitchen chores.

I spend a lot of time in the kitchen, and it's nice to know that I've got something to keep me company. I know that sounds completely nuts, but that little spider is keeping me entertained. I might not like it so much when that egg sack bursts and I have loads of baby spiders running around my kitchen, but for now I am enjoying watching her work!

She kept me company yesterday evening while I was preparing dinner for our friend Amy DuBois. Amy is a fellow American. She moved to England 40 years ago yesterday, and I invited her over to "celebrate." We had a great visit. I feel an urge to take care of her--maybe it's that mothering instinct that's starting to develop in me! She is partially blind and has severe arthritis in her hands and feet, yet manages to participate in the community and maintain the sunniest disposition you've ever seen. Seriously, such a lovely woman. She has no family here, and I know she must be unable to cook for herself most days. She looks like she subsists on next to nothing, but she sure tucked away a lot of food last night. I suppose everyone appreciates a home cooked meal every now and again!

Martin is playing football this evening, and I'm missing him. He left at 5:30, so I did bath time on my own. It's not exactly easy now that we have two children, but I got it done. I really hate listening to Edith cry! But I'm genuinely glad that Martin got out. He is always working so hard for us and he deserves a little fun every now and again!

1 comment:

Celeste said...

I love watching spiders too, as long as they keep their distance!