Thursday, January 07, 2010

Darned mothering instinct...

It's just me and Edith today, and it's nicebut stressful at the same time.

Martin took Dylan to the hospital at about 3 this morning. He had a temperature of around 104 and it wasn't going down, no matter what we did.  We'd seen the doctor yesterday and she gave us some drugs, but told us to take him to the hospital if he got any worse.  He had been dozing, but not sleeping properly, for about 10 hours.  We could hear him in his bedroom whimpering in pain and talking to his hallucinations.  It was pretty frightening.  Finally, I asked Martin to take him in to the emergancy room.

It is now quarter past 2 in the afternoon and they are just leaving the hospital to come home.  Dylan is apparently doing much better now, which is a relief.

Last night, as I held Dylan's shaking and feverish little body, I would have given anything in the whole world to be able to take his place.  I would have gladly endured his pain so that he wouldn't have to.  I felt so helpless--I just wanted him to be better, but there wasn't a single thing I could do for him.  I loved him so powerfully in his pain, and I have never felt that way before.  Not even when he was in Primary Children's Hospital hooked up to all sorts of monitors and, for all we knew, dying.  He normally seems so big and strong, but when he's ill I see him how he really is--tiny and oh so fragile.  And I want to take care of him more than anything else in the whole world.

I never expected to feel this way about another human being.  My children have taught me so much about what it means to love.

2 comments:

Greg, Ang & 4 kidlets said...

We're so glad he is doing better- what a scary thing to go through.

Michelle and Nick said...

I'm sorry. That sounds so stressful. It is so hard to see your kids sick. Luckily we have not had to experience the stress of emergency rooms yet. Glad to hear he is on the mend. We sure miss you guys!